Last Updated on August 7, 2023 by Pets Feed
In addition to fighting talent, the American Bandogge ( also known as the Bandog ) has watchdog and security qualities. The mind, strength, and endurance of the animal make it possible to use it for service in power structures. The American Bandogge is not suitable for the role of companion. This is a serious, security, working breed.
Other names: American Bandogge Mastiff, American Bandogge, Bandog, Sphinford Bandog, American Mastiff.
American Bandogge photos
The breed is specifically bred for protection and performing bodyguard duties. The American Bandogge is a massive, powerful animal, with a large, strong skeleton, well-developed, very strong muscles. The appearance is already intimidating, but in addition we know that the bandog is a ruthless beast if he loses his temper.
The weight of males is about 46-67 kg and a height at the withers of 63-75 cm. Females weigh 38-55 kg and 60-70 cm.
- Head: The skull is massive, the transition from forehead to muzzle is pronounced. The muzzle is moderately elongated, not narrowed.
- Teeth: Strong jaws, large teeth. The dog has a strong grip, but the dog doesn’t hold it for long. Bite force in an adult trained dog is 730 PSI.
- Ears: Hanging ears, often cropped.
- Eyes: Small, dark, wide set eyes.
- Body: The chest is broad, deep. The ribs are well defined. The back is strong and straight. The belly is turned up.
- Limbs: Fore and hind limbs of medium length, strong. The corners are pronounced.
- Coat: The coat is hard, not long. All colors are allowed, but white is not desirable. The dog’s paws are often lighter in color.
Character and behavior
In the family, among all household members, the bandog intuitively determines his master, he becomes the most powerful and strong-willed person. This does not mean that the dog will not obey the rest of the family, but with some indulgence and subject to proper upbringing.
The American Bandogge has an amazing feature. He is able to unravel the intentions of a person through movements, the timbre of his voice, facial expressions. If a person is aggressive, comes with bad intentions, the American Bandogge will attack immediately, without a roar, barking, in a word, without warning. Such a dog is an ideal guard dog, bodyguard. With her appearance she is able to scare off robbers and other intruders.
The bandog usually does not show his mood, keeps his emotions to himself. Therefore, to crouch in front of the owner, to flatter to him can in very rare cases. Although each representative of the breed is individual in its own way, and its behavior largely depends on education.
With the children
With other animals
By nature, it is a healthy breed with strong immunity. Health problems in most cases arise due to improper maintenance, care, nutrition.
The owner of the American Bandogge should know what diseases the breed is predisposed to:
- Obesity – occurs as a result of overfeeding.
- Epilepsy – characterized by convulsions, seizures.
- Joint dysplasia – accompanied by pain, lameness, immobility.
- Oncological diseases.
- Eye diseases – cataracts, progressive retinal atrophy.
Caring for an American Bandogge is not difficult. Most importantly, do not ignore hygiene procedures. They will help maintain the health of the animal and the beauty of its exterior. It is important to regularly perform the following actions:
- We comb short hair once a week, on the remaining days, using a massage glove, we clean the dog from dust and dead hair.
- We bathe the dog rarely. About 3 to 4 times a year, or if absolutely necessary in case of severe pollution. Wipe wool twice a week with a damp towel to clean it of pollution.
- The eyes are the weak point of the American Bandogge. It is important to examine them daily, checking for redness, inflammation or a large accumulation of secretions, we urgently turn to the veterinarian.
- Wipe the ears with cotton swabs dipped in a special solution once a week.
- For brushing teeth, we buy special bones from a veterinary pharmacy.
- Technically the term “bandog” meant a dog that was tethered by a chain (or “bande”) that would be released at night.
- Representatives of the breed were once held with the help of powerful chains, there is a version that it was because of this that the name “bandog” arose.
- In many countries, keeping and breeding the American Bandogge is prohibited.
Popular questions and answers
History of the breed
The homeland of the American Bandogge is the United States of America.
This is a dog bred by crossing different dog breeds. The term “bandog” arose in the thirteenth century in Central England. This definition meant a mastiff dog, which was kept on a massive chain during the day and released at night to guard the property.
In the sixteenth century in the print media there are descriptions of bandogs. The authors presented to the readers a huge, aggressive, purposeful and dangerous dog – a thunderstorm.
The ancestors of the first American Bandogges were watchdog mastiffs, dogs that participated in bullfights, predators, as well as dogs that accompanied their masters in the Crusade.
In ancient times, bandogs were hunting, fighting, security, and workers. They differed among themselves in different sizes and colors.
Breeders for the improvement of the breed and for the creation of new varieties have conducted and are carrying out crossbreeding of American Bandogge with other dog breeds. But in any process, breeders sought to preserve and improve the main qualities: strong immunity, fearlessness, protective instinct, large dimensions, assertiveness and fierce disposition.
The main directions of selection of American Bandogges:
- The main direction in which the crossing was conducted with the American Staffordshire Terrier and the American Pit Bull Terrier.
- The mating process with the mastiff, Neapolitan mastiff was less popular.
- Very rarely, breeders mated a bandog with the following breeds: Boerboel, Cane Corso, American Bulldog, Tosa Inu, Bullmastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux.
In the twentieth century (seventies), the American veterinarian Swinford undertakes to restore the purity of the breed American Bandogge. It was through his efforts that the exterior of modern bandogs was determined. In honor of this man, representatives of the breed are called ” Swindford Bandog “.
After the ban on dog fighting, bandogs are used as security, hunting, and guard dogs.