Last Updated on October 14, 2022 by Pets Feed
The American curl cat stands out for its ears and, although it is a relatively young breed, it is tremendously popular in its country of origin, although not so much in Europe or other continents. American Curl-eared cats and sweet-looking, “curls” are affectionate and sociable felines who adore the company of their family.
You want to know more? In this breed sheet file of Pets Feed, learn more about the American Curl cat breed. The origin of the breed, appearance, character, colors, care, and photos.
American Curl photos
Les American curl sont des chats bien équilibrés, de taille moyenne, plus élancés que massifs. Les représentantes féminines pèsent de 3 à 5 kg, les mâles de 5 à 7 kg.
La proportion et l’équilibre sont plus importants que la taille. Les chats ont des caractéristiques masculines typiques – de grosses joues et un front plus large, etc.
- Body: medium -sized, muscular.
- Museum: Corner -shaped short, with soft contours.
- Neck: medium length, muscular.
- Eyes: almond, slightly oblique.
- Legs: Average length and thickness.
- Legs: compact, rounded.
- Ears: small, rolled up.
- Tail: of length equal to the body, fluffy.
The American Curl exists in two distinct types – short -haired and semi -long naked (in the Fife system, it is positioned as a long naked). Despite the fact that the standard considers that the two varieties are equal.
American Curl character
American Curl cats are very gentle, they appreciate the owner’s attention, caress with pleasure and do not strive for independence. These cats love to be among people, are not afraid of big noisy companies and strangers. American Curl are very suffering from loneliness, so they should not be left alone for long: from a long and frequent being alone, a pet may even have problems with the nervous system. These cats can easily travel and move because they are attached not to the place, but to the person.
These cats have a somewhat canine character: they are easy to train and educate, smart and understanding, they will be happy to accept encouragement from the owner in the form of a favorite treat for a fulfilled command or good behavior. In addition, they easily get used to walking on a leash.
The American Curl are cats oriented towards humans who always remain around. They are discreet, but at the same time affectionate, sociable and players. The playful character is preserved until old age. They get along with children.
A study of the genetics of the American curl showed that this breed did not inherit any particular defects and tendencies to diseases. The only mutation that has occurred with these cats is twisted ears.
However, it is worth remembering other cats with a mutation of the ears – Scottish fold. Homozygous representatives of this breed have dysplasia of the hind limbs and tail. So, the question remains open about the risk of developing defects in cartilage and bone abnormalities in homozygous curls. Although the reviews of the owners say that with proper care, nothing like this has been noticed.
In any case, American curl cats need to clean their ears more often. At the same time, this must be done carefully so as not to damage the hard cartilage: do not stretch or straighten ears.
The fine ears of the American Curls, as if they were twisted on Bigoudis, have a stronger cartilage than the ears of ordinary cats and are easily injured. In general, prepare to explain the guests for a long time and convincingly why you do not allow your cat’s head to be caressed.
The American Curl cat is not very demanding in terms of care, but, of course, there are a number of “hygiene rituals” that it is simply necessary to perform. In addition, non -standard ears cannot be ignored – they must be particularly neat, due to the fine and delicate cartilage.
In terms of care, the American Curl breed, although not very demanding, due to the great possibilities of crossing with other cats, can have short and long hairs. Consequently, the approach of care also evolves.
If short hairs should be combed once a week, then with individuals with long hairs, everything is different – they must be combed at least 2 times a week, in order to avoid the formation of hair balls. The bath must be done at least once a month.
Once a week – Cut your nails, clean your eyes every day and be extremely careful when cleaning your ears, which should be done at least once a week or – if necessary.
The American Curl kittens are born with straight ears, which do not start to roll up until the age of 3 to 10 days. In this case, the degree of cartilage curvature may be different: from the minimum to a miniature “roll”.
American curl fun facts
- The first American curl kitten, a girl, was called Shulamith. They found her quite by accident.
- Experts believe that the breed bears similarities with Siberian cats. Perhaps they have common roots.
- For the first time for cats, the CFA has decided that both longhaired and shorthaired varieties have the right to exist.
- According to show measurements, spotted representatives of the American curl cats should always have regular blue eyes.
- American curl kittens are born with straight ears, which curl up by 2 months and take their final shape by 4 months. Buy a kitten at this age, if you do not want to risk and get a representative of a different breed instead.
- The maximum ear curl is considered a good sign for exhibitions. However, the tips do not touch the animal’s head. This may serve as a reason for his disqualification.
- American Longhaired Curl kittens cost in the range of $ 60 – 1000. In addition, it depends on the breed variety and compliance with show standards, which of these two different numbers breeders ask you for.
- Nurseries began to breed the breed quite actively only in 2000. She is the first, where cats with completely different fur lengths are officially recognized. Therefore, immediately after that, she actively began to gain popularity. Today, the relatively low starting price is due to the fact that there is an opportunity to find such a kitten for purchase.
As is clear from the name of the breed, its homeland is the USA. The history of the American Curl dates back to 1981 in Lakewood, California. Locals named Ruga found a black kitten with unusual ears. It turned out to be a girl – she was called Shulamith. Six months later, in her first litter of 4 kittens, two were born with the same ears wrapped.
Since 1983, professional breeders began to engage in the selection of a unique gene. The American curl was even interested in the famous English felinologist and geneticist Roy Robinson. He studied 383 kittens from 81 litters and confirmed that the gene for swirling ears is unique. In some ways, the breed is similar to the Siberian cat breed.