Last Updated on January 10, 2022 by Pets Feed
The Boston Terrier is an elegant, happy and sociable dog. It can be the ideal pet for dog experts and novice owners. We are talking about a small dog, easy to maintain and really very loving. It is perfect for all types of families and we should not spend too much time educating it. The main quality of this dog is its great sociability, its good behavior and the attachment which it has for its close relations.
This is the perfect dog for city dwellers. Such a pet feels comfortable and does not bother anyone even in the smallest apartments. All because of the relatively small stature, low weight and calm disposition.
Boston Terriers have established themselves as loyal companion dogs. These good-natured animals do not require special care, but the love, affection and care of the owner is vital for them. If you are willing to spend enough time with your pet, the Boston Terrier will become the most devoted friend and companion on any travels.
The Boston Terrier is a great companion that behaves exemplary under different circumstances
In this ‘ Pets Feed ‘ breed sheet, we will detail everything about the Boston Terrier, such as its physical characteristics, its character or the care it will need. Read on and find out if this breed of dog is right for you. Remember that the Boston Terrier is a small dog, really fragile, so if we have children at home, we must educate them to treat it properly and with care.
Boston Terrier photos
Characteristics of the Boston Terrier
The Boston Terrier is a small, compact, short-body dog with a square frame. Its length is equal to the height at the withers. Its legs are not excessively long, but they are very strong and powerful.
He has a very elegant and proportioned way of walking although he is not one of the most stylized breeds, and also shows a good relationship between the size of the head and the rest of the body. Its head recalls the shape and expression of that of the French bulldog, it is short and square, and shows a large black nose.
The main difference from the Bulldog is that it does not have a flat nose, but it retains its square shape. The large, round, dark eyes, very expressive and slightly domed, draw attention to his face. And his ears are small and erect, although they tend to bend at the ends.
Currently, the amputation of a part of the ears is still authorized to give the animal a more threatening appearance, an absolutely despicable practice which should disappear, because it comes down to ill-treatment of the animal. Fortunately, more and more countries are banning this type of practice. It also highlights its straight tail and its weak insertion, quite short, which generally has a shape of a loop.
In general, it can be said that it is a robust and small dog. Although the breed standard does not set a specific height, it generally does not exceed 40 centimeters. It is particularly important that you keep the proportions in your body, although excessively large samples are not desired. On the other hand, the weight which it must have is indicated in the standard, which is between 6.8 and 11.3 kilograms, and is divided into three categories, although the standard does not vary.
The first category defines dogs weighing less than 6.8 kilos
The second category defines specimens weighing between 6.8 and 9 kilograms
The third category defines dogs between 9 and 11.3 kilos.
The coat of the Boston Terrier is very short and smooth, soft to the touch and with a fine texture. It is a coat that barely falls off during the year, but it needs certain care so that its skin does not present problems, because it is very sensitive and less protected than in other breeds.
As for the color, it can generally be brindle, black with a reddish tint, or black with white spots of different shapes and sizes.
Boston Terrier character and temperament
This dog is friendly, sociable and gentle. In addition, he is very loyal and intelligent. His good character has made him one of the favorite pets of many families around the world. The Boston Terrier is generally a very friendly dog with people, although somewhat reserved at first with strangers.
In addition, he has a reputation for being a good friend with children, but you must make sure that the little ones do not hurt the dog. He also tends to get along with other dogs and can learn to live with other pets. Either way, it’s important to socialize this dog while he is still a puppy. The Boston Terrier has a high degree of intelligence, but it is misunderstood by many trainers of ancient traditions, who think that he is one of the stupid and stubborn dogs.
The truth is that these dogs learn very easily when trained with positive methods, such as clicker training. They can learn a variety of things when the trainer understands and applies the fundamentals of canine training. Although they do not present any particular problems with canine behavior, these dogs require a lot of attention and companionship, which can make this task complicated for those who do not have enough time for a pet.
If these dogs are left alone for long periods of time, they can be destructive or even develop separation anxiety. In summary, the Boston Terrier makes a great pet for families with and without children, as long as the owners have enough time to spend with their dog. Although Boston Terriers are not aggressive, it is not recommended that they be pets for very young children, as they are fragile dogs that can be abused and easily injured.
These cute animals have short hair, there is practically no smell from it, molt is almost invisible, so there are no problems with Boston Terriers in such matters
The Boston Terrier cannot live in the yard. It is very cold in winter and suffers from high temperatures in summer. This dog was created for a comfortable life in the house, next to people. It is valuable that a pet of such a small size feels great even in a one-room apartment, without disturbing the household at all.
Having settled the puppy in the apartment, from the first day determine its place, respecting the following rules:
- The bed should not be in a draft.
- Pick a warm place, but not next to heating devices.
- Do not place your dog in a dark, remote corner; the Boston Terrier must see family members from his seat.
- Place toys near the bed to give your pet something to do and a bowl of clean water.
Boston Terriers are hard to tolerate heat, they can quickly get heatstroke. In the cold season, they suffer from frost, therefore, in the autumn-winter period, such dogs should be dressed in special jackets, overalls, etc. during walks. Any changes in temperature can have a detrimental effect on the health of the pet.
You need to walk a Boston Terrier twice a day, one walk lasts about an hour. Leisurely walking on the same road is not suitable in this case. For such a cheerful and cheerful pet, you should come up with an entertainment program in the form of jogging, jumping, and various games. The Terrier enjoys meeting and playing with other dogs, aggressiveness is not in his nature.
Caring for a Boston Terrier is as easy as other short-haired dog species. The owner should regularly do the following:
- Brush the coat twice a week.
- Bath with detergents three times a year, clean your dog’s paws after a walk.
- After each meal, the short muzzle must be wiped off with a towel or napkin, as Boston Terriers eat very carelessly.
- Wipe your dog’s ears once a week, removing wax and examining for signs of inflammation or damage.
- Big eyes are a Boston Terrier’s weak point. They are often injured and inflamed. Every day, they must be gently wiped with a napkin dipped in water or weak tea leaves.
- Trim the nails 1-2 times a month, as they grow back. In most cases, the dog does not wash them on its own on the road surface.
The Boston Terrier’s diet should be balanced. This can be a premium ready-to-eat food or organic food made from fresh, quality ingredients. In the second case, the pet needs vitamin supplements. It is also important to ensure that there is a high percentage of protein in the diet, this is a condition for all small breeds.
Adults eat twice a day. The morning portion should be larger than the evening portion. The Boston Terrier has a small stomach, so one meal is contraindicated for him. It is best to check with your veterinarian for serving sizes. With overfeeding, the pet will become obese, with underfeeding, the body will not develop correctly, the immune system will weaken, which will lead to diseases.
Once a puppy is 11 months old, it can be fed with food for adult dogs.
Do not give food to your pet immediately after exercise or walking
When it comes to exercise, the Boston Terrier doesn’t need much. Daily walks are usually enough to keep him in shape, but he also likes to pick up the ball. Many fans of the breed practice canine agility and freestyle with their dogs, which are sports that can be enjoyed with this breed.
However, the risks that the Boston Terrier faces during heavy exercise in hot weather must be taken seriously. These dogs should never be forced to exercise at high temperatures, as they can suffer fatal heat stroke. In summary, this breed of dog does not need to exercise too much.
One hour a day will suffice. They are not passionate about long walks, but they like to go anywhere with their masters. In addition, these dogs need a lot of care and companionship. They are not dogs to leave alone for a long time and are not suitable for families who spend the whole day outside.
They adapt well to apartment life and must live indoors, even if they live in a house. If they have a garden, they can use it for play and fun, but only when they are with the family. Otherwise, they will prefer to stay inside the house. They should not sleep outside because their fur does not give them enough protection.
With proper care, the Boston Terrier lives for 12-15 years, although cases of longevity of 16-17 years are not excluded. From puppyhood to the last years of his life, the Boston Terrier remains a cheerful, inquisitive, playful pet. The owner is obliged to monitor not only the appearance of the dog, but also his health.
In order to recognize and prevent the development of the disease in time, you need to know which diseases the Boston Terrier is predisposed to:
- Congenital deafness – When buying a puppy, carefully check if he has hearing.
- Hyperadrenocorticism is one of the most common pathologies of the endocrine system.
- Cryptorchidism is a pathological condition characterized by the non-descent of one or both testicles into the scrotum.
- Brachycephalic syndrome – develops as a result of the anatomical features of the structure of the skull and genetic predisposition.
- Skin diseases – atopy, demodicosis, allergic reactions.
- Oncological diseases.
- Cataract is a clouding of the lens of the eye.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract – pylorospasm, flatulence, volvulus.
- Hydrocephalus is a congenital disease characterized by excessive formation and accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid in the cerebral ventricles.
- Problems with the musculoskeletal system.
- Difficult puppybirth – puppies are born with rather large heads, so there are often complications during puppybirth, as a result of which you have to do a cesarean section.
It is also worth noting that Boston Terriers have breathing problems due to their short muzzle. In hot weather, it is forbidden to physically load such a dog; it is recommended to walk in the early morning and evening.
The owner must undergo preventive examinations with the pet in a veterinary clinic (tests, x-rays), carry out treatment against skin parasites in time and do routine vaccinations.
Boston Terrier misses its owner very much when he is at work
Training and education
Boston Terriers are restless, playful dogs, so training them is difficult unless you find the right approach. Representatives of the breed are distinguished by high intelligence, if you approach their training competently, the lessons will be easy, the pet will quickly master the rules of behavior and commands.
The main rule of training is no shouting or physical punishment. Rough behavior on the part of the owner will discourage the dog, it may refuse further training altogether or will do everything reluctantly. If, after even a minor success, a Boston Terrier is praised, he will try with zeal to continue to please in order to receive praise or a treat.
It is recommended to conduct classes on a special area next to other dogs. Thus, the dog will be able to observe the work of its relatives, as a result, training is easier, and commands are mastered faster.
Boston Terrier Fun Facts
- In 1979, the Boston Terrier was proclaimed the symbol of Massachusetts.
- Small species of dogs in the first year of life increase their weight by about 20 times.
- Representatives of the Boston Terrier breed were also called by other names: “Boston mestizo”, “American bull terrier”, “round-headed bulldog”.
- In the United States, Boston Terrier dogs are called “American gentlemen” because of the white “shirt-front” on the chest and because of their adequate behavior.
The Boston Terrier is a great companion that behaves exemplary under different circumstances
Boston Terrier Dog Breed Highlights
If you are a lover of outdoor activities, outdoor games and if you have enough time to pay attention to your pet, you should get a Boston Terrier puppy. Such a dog will become a loyal and loving friend, a companion on hikes and travels. To make sure that you have chosen the right pet, you should familiarize yourself with the main pros and cons of the Boston Terrier breed.
- The Boston Terrier is extremely people-oriented, loving and affectionate.
- This dog rarely barks
- Not complicated care, not expensive maintenance.
- Is a long-liver compared to other dog breeds
- Very intelligent and always eager to please, easy to train.
- Suitable for living in small apartments
- The Boston Terrier is a good watchdog.
- Great for children
- This breed of dog is known to lose little hair.
- The Boston Terrier is a great choice for new owners.
- This dog is friendly with a calm character, and with no aggression
- It is a dog with a lot of energy who likes to be busy.
- Not the best choice for families with very young children.
- Cannot be kept on the outside
- The Boston Terrier can suffer from separation anxiety if it stays alone for too long.
- Known to suffer from some hereditary health problems so veterinarian bills can be high.
- Poorly tolerates temperature changes, is afraid of frost and heat
- The Boston Terrier becomes healthy when fed a grain-free diet.
- Due to his friendly nature, he can go with a stranger
The Boston Terrier was, in the 19th century, a cross between an English bulldog and a white English terrier. More breed crosses have been made and this dog has developed further. This happened around 1893. The breeds used for these other crosses were the English Bull Terrier, the Boxer, the Pit Bull Terrier and other terriers. At first, the Boston Terrier dog weighed more than 20 kg, but evolved to become smaller and smaller until it adopted the size with which we know it today.
Many wonderful dog breeds have been bred in America. The Boston Terrier also belongs to the species native to the United States. If we look at the list of popular breeds in America, we will see that Boston Terrier dogs are in 25th place.
This breed appeared in the nineteenth century. American breeders decided to create a new species with the best qualities of terriers and bulldogs. For this, crosses of Old English Bulldogs with English Terriers were carried out. As a result, the resulting offspring had a bulldog face and a terrier body. The breed was officially recognized in 1893.
In European countries, Boston Terriers are not very popular, but in their homeland these cute dogs are very much loved for their loyalty, unpretentiousness and friendliness. According to statistics, about thirteen thousand puppies of this breed are born annually.
Boston Terrier dogs are often confused with French Bulldogs by uninformed people, but in fact there are significant differences between the two species, both in appearance and character.
The Boston Terrier is one of the few truly “made in the America”. “The American Kennel Club considers the Boston Terrier to be one of the most intelligent breeds” …