Last Updated on October 9, 2022 by Pets Feed
Chow Chow is a Chinese breed of dog, a sign of purebredness is the blue tongue. But at what age does this characteristic blue appear and what does the absence of pigmentation indicate?
The Chow Chow dog breed is known all over the world and is easily recognizable due to its unusual blue tongue. In fact, the color of the Chow Chow tongue can change throughout life from deep black to purple. It depends on a wide variety of factors, such as the dog’s health, mental health and even weather conditions.
In stressful situations or in hot weather, the tongue of these dogs becomes lighter.
The color of the tongue is an indicator of the physical and psychological health of the pet.
Blue Chow Chow Tongue as a Sign of Thoroughbred
According to DNA tests, Chow Chow is one of the oldest breeds, whose homeland is China. Today the bear dog is known all over the world for its blue tongue. It is interesting that this distinctive feature is inherent in the Chow Chow from the very beginning of the development of the breed, because it was not subjected to selection work. It should be noted that the pigmentation of the lower part of the tongue is not taken into account when determining purebloodness.
Defects in the development of the breed:
- Red or pink back of the tongue or sides;
- The presence of two or more spots of pink or red color on the back of the tongue.
Various theories of the appearance of the blue tongue in the Chow Chow
For many years, scientists have been racking their brains over the question of why the Chow Chow has a blue tongue, but they have not yet come to a consensus. However, several theories have been put forward that have a scientific basis:
- The ancestors of these dogs were polar wolves, extinct several millennia ago, which also had a bright blue or purple tongue color.
- China is officially considered the birthplace of this breed. Some scientists cynologists admit that these dogs were first bred in the Arctic. From there they got to the territory of Siberia, then to Mongolia, and from Mongolia, together with the nomadic merchants, they moved to China. This version may well be true, because in a harsh climate, living things do not have enough oxygen. They adapt to the environment as best they can. Due to the constantly low oxygen content in the air in the body of the distant ancestors of modern Chow Chows, some mutations have occurred over time, due to which their tongues have acquired a blue tint.
- Chow Chow looks very much like bears. That is why there are those among scientists who believe that these dogs are the result of crossing polar bears and Elkhounds, or even Pomeranian Spitz. This version is confirmed by the fact that polar bears also have a blue or purple tongue.
When buying a chow-chow puppy, you need to pay attention to the pigmentation of the tongue, if it is poorly expressed or there is a heterogeneous color, then it is better to refuse the purchase, because this fact has to do with the health of the dog
There are many legends on this topic. For example, the most mysterious and beautiful of them says that the ancestors of these dogs became the owners of blue tongues thanks to their courage.
Having created the earth and populated it with a variety of animals, God proceeded to create the heavens. When he began to spread the stars across the sky, one of the pieces of the sky broke off and fell to the ground. All the animals got scared and scattered. There was only one brave dog who came up and licked this shard. So, the tongue of these dogs acquired a blue tint.
Chow-Chow Puppies Tongue Colors
Chow-chow puppies have a pale pink tongue for the first four weeks of life. Gradually, the color changes and turns blue. As a rule, the older the pet, the more saturated the color. If a one-and-a-half-month-old puppy has a pink tongue or spotting, then this indicates breed defects or health problems.
The presence of pink spots on the Chow Chow tongue may indicate health problems
How chow chow tongue color changes?
The color of the tongue can vary from light blue to dark blue depending on the mental and physical condition of the animal. So, in case of poor health, heat, emotional overstrain, the dog’s tongue acquires a lighter shade. It is also known that Chow Chow has a darker tongue color in winter than in summer. After transferring some diseases, light pink bald spots may appear on the pet’s tongue, which disappear after a while.
During the exhibition, it is the color of the tongue that is taken into account at the time of the demonstration.
Video: chow-chow – dogs with a blue tongue
The color of the Chow Chow tongue is an indicator not only of its purebredness, but also of health. Puppies with poorly expressed pigmentation of the tongue or with heterogeneity of color are discarded and selection is excluded.
Other interesting features of the breed
- In addition to the blue tongue, the chow chow has several more features:
- These dogs are both short-haired (smooth) and long-haired.
- Their wool has a special structure; it does not tend to form tangles, hardly gets dirty and is capable of self-cleaning.
- These dogs have a very unusual gait. Straight limbs make them move in short steps, like on stilts.
- Chow Chows are prone to developing allergies, so their diet should be monitored very carefully.
- These dogs are very silent and will never bark just like that.
- Chow-Chow owners can be proud that they have become the happy owners of one of the most unusual dog breeds in the world, because the blue color of the tongue makes these dogs truly unique.