Last Updated on August 6, 2023 by Pets Feed
The Entlebucher mountain dog is a versatile dog designed to work and communicate with humans. The original purpose is shepherding.
In the modern world, the scale of the use of the working qualities of the mountain dog has increased significantly. He has earned popularity not only as a watchdog, shepherd dog.
Entlebucher mountain dog photos
The Entlebucher Mountain Dog is a handsome, smooth-coated, compact dog that appears slightly elongated. The color played an important role in creating a memorable image of the breed: rich reddish-white spots combined with an elegant black “tailcoat” give the appearance of the animal a gentlemanly shine and a slight aristocracy.
This dog has a medium size, a strong constitution and a weight between 20 and 30 kg, and 42 to 52 cm in height at the withers.
- Head: The skull is flat, slightly tapering towards the muzzle. The neck is strong passing smoothly down the back.
- Jaws: Strong with a level scissor bite. The lips are black, adjacent to the jaws.
- Ears: Triangular in shape, rounded, pendulous in the normal state, but raised when alert.
- Eyes: Small, round, dark brown, full of intelligence.
- Body: Well built, a little long. The back is straight, wide with a slope. The kidney is flexible. Chest wide, deep, slightly oval.
- Legs: Round, closed, with rough pads, nails are small. The limbs are muscular and parallel. The tail is of standard length, or shortened from birth.
- Coat: Rough, straight and shiny, with a dense undercoat.
Character and behavior
The main character traits of the entlebucher mountain dog are independence, dedication, self-confidence.
Representatives of the breed are excellent family dogs. They like to be in the company of people, they always try to participate in all household chores, just to be close to the household.
Nature outings, picnics, outdoor games in large company are the greatest delights of an entlebucher mountain dog. But that doesn’t mean that such a friendly dog is incapable of guarding. From birth she has the instinct of a guardian, a shepherd, a hunter.
With the children
He gets along with children, behaves in a friendly manner. The entlebucher mountain dog is a tireless playmate. He charges everyone with his optimism, his excitement. But since this breed belongs to workers, and not to decoration, the child is not suitable as the main owner.
With other animals
Due to the hunting instinct, it is difficult to keep the entlebucher mountain dog and rodents and birds in the same territory. They can become prey for the dog. Undesirable manifestations of the hunting instinct can be combated with the help of training and education.
He is rarely in conflict with other dogs. In most cases, he gets along calmly.
A conscientious owner should know what diseases the Entlebucher mountain dog is prone to. Most often, representatives of this breed have the following health problems:
- Cataract – clouding of the lens, leads to deterioration of vision, up to complete blindness.
- Glaucoma is a disease associated with an increase in pressure inside the eye, which occurs against the background of any eye disease.
- Progressive retinal atrophy is a hereditary disease characterized by the presence of multiple disorders of the retina of the eye, which leads to complete loss of vision.
- Kidney disease.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Dysplasia of the hip joint is a violation of the development of the hip joint, without serious treatment leads to the development of arthrosis and destruction of the joint.
The Entlebucher mountain dog can live on average 12-15 years. The lifespan directly depends on the conditions of detention, diet, veterinary services.
The coat of the Entlebucher mountain dog requires weekly combing. When shedding, a special comb is used to remove the undercoat – furminator. Usually these dogs like this procedure and behave patiently.
It is enough to wash the dog once a year. For the choice of individual detergents, you should consult your veterinarian.
Care of the claws consists in their periodic shortening with a special tool.
A control and cleaning of the eyes, teeth and ears is done every week.
- The Entlebucher Mountain Dog is one of the rarest, smallest breeds in the world.
- Entlebucher is the smallest member of the Swiss Mountain Dog family.
- The name of the breed comes from the name of the Entlebuch valley, it was on the indicated territory that this type of dog arose (the region of the cantons of Lucerne and Bern).
History of the breed
The birthplace of Entlebucher Mountain Dog is Switzerland. The breed originated in the Swiss Alps. The first mention of these dogs’ dates back to 1889.
Entlebucher mountain dog belongs to the group of mountain dogs in Switzerland, is their relative:
- Appenzeller Mountain Dog.
- Swiss Mountain Dog.
- Bernese Mountain Dog.
All representatives of the above group are united by a bright tricolor color. Shepherd’s, sentry ability, hunting instinct.
Before the twentieth century, Appenzeller and Entlebucher were considered one species, they have almost the same tricolor color and slight differences in size.
There is speculation that the Entlebucher mountain dog descended from aboriginal herding dogs that interbred with ancient Roman fighting dogs. Hence the amazing fearlessness, stormy temperament, and sentry, protective instinct.
The Entlebucher Mountain Dog is a breed that arose naturally; in the process of its formation, a person took minimal indirect participation.
Entlebucher’s formation took place in mountainous areas, inaccessible terrain. Human participation was limited to the selection of pedigree dogs, the most resilient, suitable for herding and guard service.
In 1913, purebred Entlebuchers took part in exhibitions. Popularity and population at the highest level. But the First World War led to the almost complete extinction of this species.
Cynologists-breeders had to restore the breed using only 16 surviving individuals. In the process of breeding, not only Enlebuchers are used, genes of other species are added to their genes, among which the Appenzeller Mountain Dog is the leader.
Now the Entlebucher mountain dog is in no danger. Clubs of lovers of this breed have been created. Its representatives regularly participate in cynological exhibitions, parades, and celebrations.