Last Updated on November 10, 2021 by Pets Feed
Proper nutrition is the basis of your pet’s health, some people prefer to feed their dog or cat natural food, others prefer more convenient food. Be that as it may, a balanced diet is very important, and the mistakes of the owners can cost the animal’s health. “We wanted the best, but it turned out as usual” – as a result of such tactics and due to improper feeding, the metabolism of the pets is disturbed, diseases of the digestive, genitourinary, and excretory systems appear, and in fact many problems could have been avoided!
Let’s talk about the most common feeding mistakes and how to avoid them.
10 mistakes when feeding pets
1. A sharp change in diet. Imagine that all your life you have eaten food prepared by caring parents, and now they put a can of canned food in front of you and declare that this is your regular dinner. It’s a shame, isn’t it? – A dog or a cat also cannot be switched from natural food to industrial food and vice versa “at the click”. It is necessary to do this gradually; on average, the animal’s body adapts to new conditions for at least a week.
Separately, we want to note the quality of feed: they need to be stored correctly (so it is better to buy them not by weight on the market, but in special stores), follow the instructions and feeding rules, buy premium and super premium feed – they are balanced and will not harm the pet’s body , in contrast to cheap and obviously low-quality supplements.
2. A lot does not mean good. You are used to having your cat or dog eat a pot of porridge a day, and offer your pet a similar amount of food without bothering to look at the feeding rates. Observe the dosage, do not overfeed the dog or cat: do not hesitate, he will eat, he will also ask for supplements with sad eyes, but then do not complain that your pet is getting fat and has metabolic problems.
Babies eat often: up to 2 months they need to be fed 5-6 times a day, from 4 to 7 months they are given food 4 times a day, from the age of seven months they are transferred to 3-4 meals a day. Adult pets are fed 2 times a day, in extreme heat it can even be fed once. Older cats and dogs eat 3 times a day.
3. Mixing rations. If the pet refuses food, enterprising owners add a little dry food to the porridge, “for taste.” Of course, the animal will eat such a wonderful mixture with great pleasure, but such food can hardly be called useful. Feed only dry food or natural food, no mixing. Do not give scraps from the table, do not overdo it with vitamins and dressings. You can combine dry food with canned food, soak in water, but it is not recommended to mix products from different manufacturers – they differ in their composition.
4. “Both, and it is possible without bread.” Imagine the situation: you have selected the optimal food for the family’s pet and are generally very satisfied with yourself. Such feeding does not require much effort, it is profitable and simple. The dog has already adjusted the enzymes of the digestive system, the activity of the intestines. And suddenly you decide to pamper your pet with meat, sausages and other delicacies. The result is indigestion and possible illnesses. If you’ve already chosen food as your main diet, stick to it. The food has both pros and cons. It is convenient, simple, you do not need to cook, but it is very expensive, and not all veterinarians recognize the benefits of dry food.
5. What is good for a person is not for a dog … There is a list of products that should never be given to a pet. A piece of smoked sausage or leftovers from your soup can cause digestive upset and numerous diseases. Sweets act on the liver, impair the pet’s eyesight, salty foods, spices and spices cause loss of smell. Smoked, fried, fatty foods should also not be included in the diet, legumes and cereals should not be given in dry form, the only exception is oatmeal. Sharp bones, including tubular and fish bones, spoiled foods, frozen or hot foods should not be given.
6. A few more words about feed. Simulate the situation: you go to the store to buy the usual food, but it is not on the counter. What, does the animal sit hungry? – and you buy the first colorful package that comes across (and preferably more expensive, so that you probably like it) and with a pure soul go to feed the dog or cat. Different brands also differ in the composition of the feed, so you shouldn’t be surprised if your pet starts having problems with the stomach, hair, and teeth. Transfer to another feed gradually, in small doses, within 7-14 days.
7. Natural food. Stereotypes about our smaller brothers play against them: “the dog eats meat, and the cat eats fish, dogs love bones, and cats love milk.” And no one cares that fish can be given to cats no more than 2 times a week, and long bones are contraindicated for dogs, and milk in individuals older than six months is not absorbed at all. If you decide to feed your pet with natural food, accept the fact that the food will have to be prepared separately – scraps from the table cannot be dispensed with. In addition, it is better to consult with specialists regarding the diet: the dosage of food depends on many factors – age, breed, sex, health status, and so on, this must be borne in mind.
8. Water is life. Fresh and clean water should always be present in the drinker, but it also happens that the animal refuses to drink – the moisture contained in cereals and soups is enough for it. Everything would be fine, but only in dry food there is a minimum of water, so it is advisable to pre-soak them or mix them with canned food. Many zoological stores sell enriched water for animals – it contains probiotics like iodine, copper, cobalt and other elements that are unlikely to be found in tap water.
9. Obesity or weight loss. Does your dog or cat lose appetite? – the owners, instead of showing the pet to the veterinarian, are in a hurry to offer him more tasty and varied food. In fact, it can be a signal of a disease. If the pet is losing weight, you can slightly increase the dosage of food, but again, in consultation with a specialist. Dangerous for the animal and obesity: it disrupts the permeability of blood vessels, the work of the heart, affects the work of internal organs, the musculoskeletal system. Sedentary pets need to increase physical activity while adjusting the diet.
10. To each – his own. Each cat and dog have different food needs: active animals require more energy, which means they need to feed them more. The needs of babies and older individuals also differ, so food must be selected according to age, type of animal, health status, breed, and so on.
Proper feeding will always help keep your pet in great shape and significantly extend its life!