Last Updated on November 5, 2022 by Pets Feed
Famous for its shiny golden fur of medium length, the golden retriever is a dog with a friendly expression, perfect symmetry and a superb and fluid movement, moving with long and strong steps.
Based on the number of registered golden retriever in European cynological clubs, we can conclude that this breed is the second most popular among all types of dogs. Golden retriever is valued primarily for its golden character.
Due to its versatility and intelligence (4th in the smartest dog list according to Stanley Coren), the golden retriever is one of the most popular dog breeds in the world. Currently, in addition to being a great pet, he has skills such as service dogs, therapy dogs, police dogs, hunting dogs and even rescue dogs. Below, in this ‘ Pets Feed ‘ dog breed sheet, we explain everything you need to know about the Golden Retriever.
|Breed name||Golden Retriever|
|Country of origin||England|
|Weight||27 – 46 kg|
|Height (at the withers)||55-61 cm|
|Life expectancy||12 – 14 years|
Golden retriever photos
Characteristics of the Golden Retriever
The Golden Retriever is a fairly large dog. Its direct goal is a hunting arsenal. Therefore, the physique is muscular, the limbs are strong, the dog itself is robust, ready for long transitions and adverse weather conditions.
The growth of adults is 55-61 cm, the weight corresponding to the height can range from 27 to 46 kg. The nodes are significantly inferior to males in weight and size.
- A beautiful head rests on a strong, strong neck. Hanging ears, triangular. The almond shaped eyes vary in color from light hazel to dark brown. The gaze is expressive, attentive, student. The muzzle is elongated; according to the standard, not the slightest trace of roughness is allowed. The nose is black, not too big.
- The jaws are powerful with large canines and a pincer bite.
- The body is elongated, the abdomen is folded. The chest is wide, the back is straight. The legs are muscular, straight, muscular. Feline, neat paws with firm pads. The long tail is heavily pubescent.
- The coat is straight, waves are allowed. The guard hair is very beautiful and long. There is a dense undercoat which is waterproof.
- Color is also a characteristic trait of the breed. Golden Retrievers can have a golden, cream, beige coat with all of their undertones. Shades of red are undesirable by the standard.
- Modern golden retrievers are divided into three types according to the exterior: British (tall, muscular), American (rich golden color) and Canadian (tall, graceful).
You might also be interested in the article: Labrador Retriever: description and general characteristics of the breed
According to the breed standard, the color is presented in shiny gold, of different shades. It can also be a cream, although shades that are too light or too dark are rejected. Red or mahogany, pure white and black are not allowed in the exhibitions. Beyond official competitions, the color of the coat or the mixture of shades have no effect on the dog as a pet or for carrying out work.
Is the Golden Retriever the same breed as the Labrador Retriever?
Sometimes these two breeds create some confusion due to the similarity they have at different levels. However, they are two very different breeds both physically and behaviorally. The fact that they are both Retriever means that they share certain characteristics, but that does not mean that they are of the same breed. For starters, among the physical features of the Golden Retriever, the fact that it has a long coat, which never happens in the Labrador Retriever.
In addition, the colors of the two are very different, only the cream-colored specimens of the two breeds being similar. On the other hand, the Golden Retriever has a friendly temper with everyone, which also tends to appear in Labrador, but this second can be more shy if it is not socialized correctly as a puppy. What is clear is that both breeds are more than recommended as a pet, so if you choose one, you just need to make sure you get as much information as possible. And in a case of the Golden Retriever, you will find here the most complete information.
Character of the Golden Retriever
A more sociable dog than a Golden Retriever is hard to find. He is ready day and night to be close to people, to run, jump, hunt, play and help in any business. Golden Retriever can be a guide and a caring, loyal friend for people with poor eyesight. For an avid hunter, the dog will become an indispensable assistant, especially when hunting near water bodies.
If the family has children, the retriever will become an ideal nanny and play companion for them. Such a dog will never offend a child. Being an active dog, the Golden Retriever tirelessly plays with kids, runs, jumps, participates in all their pranks.
With a pet in the form of a retriever, you can keep any pets. It is desirable that they grow together from the first days. The fact is that the Golden Retriever has a highly developed hunting instinct, so he can look at small animals as at prey. If the acquaintance has already happened, then the little kitten or puppy will become a friend for a friendly dog.
The Golden Retriever cannot be called one-man. He treats all household members with the same affection, from young to old. For the sake of order, he will bark at a stranger, but he will not show much aggression. So, the guardian of such a pet is not very reliable. Due to the lack of aggression, he seeks to quickly make friends with everyone, and not attack and bite.
Energetic, the Golden Retriever loves different games. With particular pleasure, the dog plays in the water, near the reservoirs. All because of the hunting instinct. It is also worth noting the favorite games of the representatives of the breed, they most of all like to bring a thrown stick, ball or any other object.
Golden Retriever is a capable learner, grasping even the most difficult material with ease. With a timely completed training course, he become an excellent guide, rescuer and a search dog.
The Golden Retriever is a generally healthy dog. However, they are prone to certain diseases, including:
Progressive retinal atrophy;
Subvalvular aortic stenosis;
von Willebrand’s disease – an inherited blood disorder;
Dilatation of the stomach – Volvulus, commonly known as bloating or volvulus;
Hemangiosarcoma is a very dangerous form of cancer, most commonly found in middle and older Retrievers;
With good care, the Golden Retriever can live from 12 to 14 years old.
The Golden Retriever is a breed which has a fairly abundant coat and which loses twice a year. They must be combed at least twice a week, and preferably 3, and bathed at least 1 time a month. The ears are cleaned 3 times a week, the eyes are cleaned daily. The claws are cut 3 times a month.
Golden Retriever adults need a reasonable amount of exercise to stay in peak condition. If you exercise too much for the puppy, he may develop bone or joint problems.
A few hours of exercise a day is enough for a healthy adult, but he’ll be more willing to accept it if he can.
Despite his friendly and outgoing nature, the golden retrievers needs nurturing and a steady hand. A dog that does not recognize the master’s authority becomes uncontrollable and can create a lot of problems.
Fun facts about the Golden Retriever
- Currently, the Golden Retriever is the third most popular breed in the United States, the fifth in Australia and the eighth in the United Kingdom. These data were obtained by accessing the records of new puppies born each year, which follow an ascending line.
- Before discovering the original crossbreeding records of the breed, it was thought that its creator, Lord Tweedmouth of Guisachan, had obtained the breed from a group of circus sheepdogs. However, in his archives, it was clear that the development through crosses of hunting dogs exclusively, thus dispelling any doubt.
- In 2006, a meeting of enthusiasts of the Golden Retriever dog breed was organized in Scotland, with the intention of gathering all possible specimens in their place of origin. In the photos taken, up to 188 dogs were captured together, breaking the record for the largest number of Golden Retriever dogs in the same image.
- It is one of the breeds of dogs with a greater sense of smell developed. These dogs can learn to search for objects of all kinds and in all circumstances. This ability makes it ideal as a dog to search for explosives, narcotics or any other product.
- Although all dogs need to chew, the Golden Retriever needs it with much more intensity. It requires toys or solid elements where it can discharge part of its energy and its needs.
- They are also dogs that love water, swim and are in contact with it. They are excellent swimmers, so whenever they get the chance, they will enjoy a good dive anywhere.
- Until the age of three, the Golden behaves like a small puppy, plays and frolics tirelessly.
- Retrievers are ideal swimmers and love water.
- Golden Retriever is a nocturnal animal, during the day he prefers to take a nap if possible, and in the evening he begins to be active.
- The Golden Retriever is at the forefront of all service dog breeds.
Lord Tweedmouth decided to continue breeding dogs with unusual coat colors and bred his retriever to a Tea Tweed Water Spaniel. The mating was successful and soon three puppies of a rare yellow color were born. Encouraged by his success, Tweedmouth continued his breeding experiments, selecting for further mating only suitable individuals with a pure golden color.
When Tweedmouth died, his work was continued by his friends, to whom the lord gave puppies. Two of them have even opened their own golden retriever kennels. To improve the characteristics of the breed, retrievers were crossed with Labradors, bloodhounds and Irish setters. In 1885, Golden Retrievers were considered the kings of sport hunting dogs.
The golden retriever breed was officially recognized in 1913. Goldens are now among the four most popular dog breeds in the world.