Last Updated on October 8, 2022 by Pets Feed
On average, statistics say that the lifespan of dogs ranges from 10 to 13 years. But this is a very average count. Since in fact, everything is much more interesting and complicated. There are a lot of factors for calculating.
- Breed. The larger the dog, the shorter its eyelids. Mixed breeds or no purebred pets live longer.
- Genetics. It is worth paying attention, when purchasing a dog with a passport, to her relatives, what life expectancy they differed in. This will be the starting point for you.
- The gender of the dog. Males live less.
- Taking into account the features characteristic of a given dog in terms of its content.
Nature, with its natural selection, endowed with longevity and healthy immunity, one wonderful breed is a mongrel, the struggle for life from an early age has a positive effect on the body’s resistance and adaptation to weather conditions, viral infections, nutrition and maintenance. Bred for many years, our smaller friends, unfortunately, cannot boast of the same. The breeder fights for every puppy in the litter, feeding and healing. In other conditions, such offspring do not have a chance. Nevertheless, breeding gave us the opportunity to choose: small and cute, affectionate or aggressive, with long hair, with love for children, a desire to protect, and so on. But for such a variety it took years of my life.
The number of years of life depending on the breed
How long do Chihuahuas live? This breed belongs to long-livers, 16-20 years old. This category includes:
- Yorkshire Terrier
- Boston Terrier
- Maltese lapdog
- Miniature Schnauzer
- Shih Tzu
- Japanese Chin
How long do dachshunds live? The age of these bloodhounds directly depends on their curiosity against the background of hunting instincts. If you save the dog from accidents, and otherwise observe the features of comfortable maintenance, it is quite possible to reach the turn of 18 years.
For example, the Pomeranian Spitz, the life expectancy can be credited to the long-livers, but the peculiarities of the content of these dogs make up a lot of nuances that not all owners can do, which is why this breed shares a step with the category of average life expectancy.
How long do pooch live? Here, unlike purebreds, there is one peculiarity. Large individuals have a greater chance of longevity. The average life expectancy is 15-20 years. There is a case entered in the Guinness Book of Records – 29 years old, a translation of a shepherd dog, who lived in Australia in comfortable conditions. But if we talk about ownerless dogs, naturally the lifespan is significantly reduced.
Average life expectancy
How long do huskies live? Life expectancy is 12-15 years. Super active animals from young age to old age. The best living conditions will be aviary. In the absence of – regular walks with physical activity.
- Labradors live 10-14 years
- Jack Russell Terrier 12-16 years old
- Doberman Pinscher 9-13 years old
- German Shepherd 9-13 years old
- Pug 11-14 years old
- Retriever 10-12 years old
- Caucasian Shepherd Dog 11-12 years old
- Pit bull 9-15 years old
- Chow Chow 9-15 years old
- Alabai 10-12 years old
Turkish Kangal (Anatolian Shepherd Dog) 12-15 years old. Large animal, reaches 75 kg, 90 cm at the withers. Shepherd dog. Most often, they acquire it, precisely for direct use. Home or aviary content will directly affect the number of years lived. Only open spaces with constant physical activity allow this handsome man not to join the ranks of large, but few living pets.
The shortest life expectancy of dog breeds
- St. Bernard 8-10 years old
- Newfoundland 8-10 years old
- Rottweiler 8-10 years old
- English Mastiff 6-10 years old
- Irish Wolfhound 6-10 years old
The Great Dane, a beautiful, graceful and at the same time powerful animal, will delight you with its company from 8 to 10 years, such is the genetics of this dog. It is necessary to carefully monitor the diet, and be sure to visit a veterinarian, from the age of four, preferably twice a year. The breed requires a systematic examination, in many cases, immunity support is carried out with medication, most of all, this applies to Great Danes, black Apollo among dogs.
Shar Pei. This plush, folded, good friend, not distinguished by its large size, up to 25 kg. But his age is just as fleeting. Average 8 years. Congenital weak immunity, a tendency to allergies and otitis media. Requires careful hygienic care, careful observation of the pet, at the slightest change in behavior or sluggish mood, you need to visit the veterinary clinic.
Having looked at the statistics, we can say that you have the opportunity to argue with it. And your pet has a chance to live longer than the prescribed century. With a rational approach to the maintenance, nutrition, treatment and acquisition of a pet.
5 secrets of canine longevity
- Nutrition. Should be balanced and normalized, containing all trace elements and nutrients. A properly selected diet, taking into account individual characteristics, will have a positive effect on the dog’s health.
- Regular outdoor exercise. Each breed needs its own sport. For some, a half-hour slow walk is enough, while others need serious exercise in addition to walking.
- Daily time with the host. Dogs are social animals, it is very difficult for them to tolerate the lack of attention from the owner. Try to devote time to her every day, play, stroke, talk.
- Regular visits to the veterinarian. Most diseases are easier to prevent than to cure. Don’t forget this. During routine examinations, veterinarians often detect serious diseases in the early stages and save the pet’s life by starting treatment in a timely manner.
- Caring for the owner to reduce the amount of stress. The dog is an indicator of your mood, so walking on a short leash is perceived as an alarm and transmitted to the pet. If you let go of the leash, then everything is in order and he too can relax. Do not forbid the animal to sniff around. It is a way of knowing and collecting information about the world. Use gestures when giving commands. Dogs do not understand words, except for a few phrases. And changing the expression or tone of the voice, commands with vague body movements can be confusing. Do not leave your dog alone in the car for more than 10 minutes. Reward training is much more effective than physical discipline. This principle builds trusting relationships. With physical education, the dog begins to be afraid of you.
Determining the age of a dog to human years
It is generally accepted that the year of a dog’s life is equal to seven years of a human. This calculation gives a very rough result. Below is a table for a better understanding of age matching.
|Dog age||Human age||Matching ratio|
|2 months||14 months||7|
|6 months||5 years||10|
|1 year||14 years old||7|
|1.5 years||20 years||13.3|
|2 years||24 years||12|
|3 years||30 years||10|
|4 years||36 years||9|
|5 years||40 years||8|
|6 years||42 years||7|
|7 years||49 years old||7|
|8 years||56 years||7|
|9 years||63 years old||7|
|10 years||65 years||6.5|
|11 years||71 years||6.5|
|12 years||75 years||6.3|
|13 years||80 years||6.2|
|14 years old||84 years||6|
|15 years||87 years old||5.8|
|16 years||89 years||5.6|
The table shows that the first two years are the most active in development. After three years, your dog becomes a mature personality.
There is another principle for calculating the age of a dog, according to size and breed. For example, in small individuals, childhood passes faster than in large ones. But also individuals of the same size, have a different life span. Therefore, having familiarized yourself with such information, an understanding of life and the requirements for your pupil will give a beneficial result for both parties. You will be able to better understand at what age your dog reaches maturity and take appropriate action. Add micronutrients or vitamins to your diet, it is more meticulous to conduct a home examination, especially pay attention to the teeth. Maybe the doggie should fundamentally change the diet, if there are any problems. Seek professional advice. All this simple knowledge will help prolong the life of your household.
So how long do dogs live? Depending on all of the above nuances, you can add a few more – love and attention from the owner, will prolong the life of your pet.