Last Updated on August 5, 2023 by Pets Feed
With a beautiful and graceful pearl gray, with a long and silky coat, this is how the cats of the Nebelung breed, characteristics inherited from Russian blue cats, as far as color is concerned, and cats with long hair, in terms of softness and long hairs.
The Nebelung cat is a kind of breed of Russian blue cats. You can recognize them with the naked eye: unlike short-haired Russian blue cats, the Nebelung cats have a long, luxurious coat, as in the photos bellow.
The breed received an exotic name for the external similarity of long-haired smoky cats with fog, blowing mysticism and magic. The coat really has an amazing soft flowing structure and an extraordinary bluish-silver tint. In the sunlight, the animal looks like a mystical cloud from the Nebelungen myth.
Representatives of the breed are strong and at the same time graceful, they hide developed muscles under a long coat. The sexual type is expressed moderately: the females are slightly smaller than the males. Thus, the body weight is 3-4 and 5-6 kg, respectively. At the same time, the balanced proportions of the animal are considered a more significant criterion in comparison with the dimensions set by the standard.
Those familiar with cat breeds will never confuse a Nebelung with a Russian Blue or a Chartreux, for example.
- The cat has a strong medium-sized body.
- Nebelung cats have long legs, rounded at the ends.
- The tail of the animal is quite long and rounded at the end.
- The neck is quite thin, the head, like most cats, is wedge-shaped.
- The chin is well defined and the mustache pads on the muzzle are voluminous.
- The Nebelung has bulky ears that taper at the end. They are tilted slightly forward.
- The cat has large oval eyes.
- Eye color is either orange-yellow or emerald green.
- The coat is soft, with an undercoat.
- The hair is medium length.
- The color of the cat is blue with silver.
Character and behavior
This cat is very cheerful and affectionate, although he is quite reserved when he does not know people. For this reason, it is essential to socialize a nebelung cat to strangers as quickly as possible, to ensure that it does not present an excessive fear to visitors.
In this sense, if we adopt a nebelung kitten, we must know that its phase of socialization must begin as soon as possible, because after three months of life, it may be expensive. However, that does not mean that if we adopt an adult cat, we can not socialize it because that is possible, but we need to have more patience.
Continuing with the temperament and behavior of nebelung cats, it should be noted that they are very active and playful so we can have fun preparing games and playing together. However, it may not be the best idea to pretend to be the perfect cat to spend time with children, especially with the little ones, because it is not too patient, but rather capricious, so children can be frustrated trying to play with them.
These cats are considered to adapt quite well to coexistence with other cats and other domestic animals.
In addition, nebelung cats need the company all the time, so if we spend a lot of time away from home, it is easy for them to suffer from disorders such as anxiety and depression.
Nebelung cats rarely get sick. Most often, this cat is characterized by ailments typical of all long-haired cats. If the animal goes outside, it can catch:
- Parasites (fleas, ticks);
These ailments are treated promptly, the main thing is not to perform them and inspect pets in a timely manner.
Among the most serious diseases that are most common in the list of others in the Nebelung are:
- Renal failure.
- Urolithiasis disease.
If you feed Nebelung with high-quality food and balanced natural food, and often arrange preventive checks with the veterinarian, there will never be any special health problems for the animal.
Long hair is the main care difficulty for owners of the Nebelung cat. It should be combed at least once a week, removing dead hair and hairballs, and this should be done carefully and gently.
Otherwise, these cats are no different from others – they need to be bathed periodically, at least once a month, to monitor the cleanliness of the oral cavity (the teeth are usually brushed every other day, if every day does not work ) , trim the claws once a week.
Remember to also check the ears for wax deposits and gently clean them if there are any.
- The yellow color of the eyes of an animal of this species may serve as a reason for its exclusion from participation in the exhibition.
- Nebelung kittens have golden eyes from birth. But at 4 months they have a green ring around the pupil, gradually turning into a completely green eye color.
- Researchers of the breed are at a loss as to where the name of the representatives of the breed came from. There is a version that its roots are in the word “nebel”, which means “fog” in German.
- The name of the first representative of the breed Siegfried. The motive was an epic opera by Wagner called The Ring of the Nebelung cats.
- The average price for a Nebelung cat without reservation is approximately $ 1000.
History of the breed
The cats considered as the first of the Nebelung breed were born in 1986, a few years ago, in the United States. These kittens were the children of a long-haired American cat and a Russian blue cat. These cats belonged to an American breeder named Cora Cobb, considered “godfather” of the breed. The name of the breed comes from the German word “nebel” which means “fog”, all thanks to the gray color of its fur.
Although these cats have gained a lot of love from the general public, there have been some issues regarding the recognition of the breed by official bodies. Currently, thanks to the struggles of several groups of breeders, the breed is already recognized by various entities such as the American Cat Fanciers Association (ACFA), the World Cat Federation (WCF) and the Official Book of Feline Origins (LOOF).