Last Updated on October 27, 2022 by Pets Feed
A formidable appearance, tremendous strength, loyalty to the owner and distrust, an increased level of aggression towards strangers – this is the Perro de Presa Canario. For his family, such a dog is a reliable protector and loyal friend, but not everyone can bring it up.
The Perro de Presa Canario is a breed of Molosser type dog, originally bred to work with cattle. The breed is sometimes also called : Canary Mastiff, Canary Catch Dog, Canarian Dogo, Presa Canario, Dogo Canario, or simply the Presa.
It is a big and strong dog, but also very resistant and ready to carry out many different tasks, mainly those of guard dog and cattle breeder.
|Breed name||Perro de Presa Canario|
|Country of origin||Canary Islands, Spain|
|Weight||50 – 65 kg|
|Height (at the withers)||60 – 66 cm|
|Life expectancy||11 years|
Perro de Presa Canario photos
Physical characteristics of the Perro de Presa Canario
The dogo Canario is a medium to large size dog. Its appearance is imposing and although its height at the cross is similar to that of the German shepherd, it is much more robust and muscular. The Perro de Presa Canario measures are:
- Males: height between 60 and 66 cm at the cross and weight between 50 and 65 kg.
- Females: height between 56 and 62 cm at the cross and weight between 40 and 55 kg.
- Head: the head is large and square. The skull is slightly convex. The muzzle is wide, short, tapered towards the nose. There is a black mask on the muzzle.
- Jaws: articulated in scissors The teeth are wide with large fangs.
- Ears: the ears are medium -sized, hanging and close to the skull. If the ears are cut, they will be trained. The ears are well removed.
- Eyes: Eyes are oval and medium in size. Color – Brown or brown.
- Frame: the body is muscular, athletic. The chest is large. The ribs are bent. Filled belly. The back is straight, the rump slightly raised.
- Members :
- The legs are straight, muscular, with wide bones. The legs look like those of a cat. The pads are dark. The nails are almost black.
- Pelage: the hair is short, hard, straight. There is no sub-point. Color: bridged, fawn, brown, reddish, different shades of sand. There is always a dark mask on the muzzle. There may be white marks on the chest.
Character and temperament of the Perro de Presa Canario
The Canary Mastiff is a calm and balanced dog, very docile and loyal to its owner, although due to its strong watchdog instinct it can be aggressive with strangers and has often been included in the category of dogs potentially dangerous.
However, if he has been well-educated and socialized since a puppy, the Perro de Presa Canario will have no problem living in a house, with children or other dogs who may be under the same roof.
The most common is that the opposite occurs and ends up developing a great condition as well as a marked protective instinct towards those who consider its peers.
His watchdog past predisposes him to have a shy and reserved attitude with strangers, but very noble and serene with his loved ones. It is undoubtedly one of the most loyal dogs that exist. In addition, the Perro de Presa Canario is a very obedient dog, with whom we can work obedience exercises and other activities that include mental stimulation, such as canine skills.
If you have children, remember that it is better not to leave them for long with a Perro de Presa Canario. Even if the dog does not want to hurt the child, just because of his size, he can accidentally hurt them.
With other animals
The Perro de Presa Canario will compete with other pets, especially if they are smaller. When buying a puppy, there is no need to get rid of cats and other dogs. When they live together, pets will start to get along.
Perro de Presa Canario Health
Representatives of the breed are not predisposed to serious hereditary diseases; they have strong immune defenses. But, like any living creature, the dogo canario often has the following health problems:
- Epilepsy – The disease does not respond to treatment, but it can be controlled by reducing the number of seizures with seizures.
- Dysplasia of the joints – characterized by severe pain, sometimes intolerable. Without timely treatment, the dog may lose the ability to move.
- Twist, eversion of the eyelid – cannot be treated, requires surgical intervention.
- Scabies is a skin disease caused by mites.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract – volvulus, bloating, diarrhea.
The life expectancy of the Perro de Presa Canario is between 9 and 11 years.
The Perro de Presa Canario also feels comfortable in an apartment as in a private house with a fenced courtyard. It is not recommended to keep representatives of the breed on a chain or in an aviary, but in hot weather, this is authorized.
These dogs have a short coat, it is difficult for them to endure the cold. Dog clothes will help protect your pet from the cold.
The Perro de Presa Canario has no wool as such. It is too small to be difficult to maintain.
- Just comb the dog once a week with a brush. During the moulting period, the dog is combed every day.
- Just bathe your animal twice a year without shampoos. In case of contamination, the dog is wiped with a damp towel.
- Each week, the dog’s eyes are wiped with a decoction of chamomile.
- The ears, especially those that are not cut, are cleaned with a special lotion once a week. Check them every 2-3 days.
- The teeth are cleaned every 2-3 weeks. To prevent the appearance of tartar, cartilage is included in the diet.
- The nails are cut if necessary. It is necessary to get used to the procedure from an early age. The representatives of the breed have dark claws, it is difficult to shorten them, because they merge with the pads and the color. The claw cut is carried out with care so as not to damage the vessels.
Perro de Presa Canario Dog Fun Facts
- The Perro de Presa Canario dog is prohibited in several countries: Italy, Romania, USA, Australia, Ukraine, Belarus, New Zealand
- This dog is fearless.
- There are known cases of fatal attacks by dogo canario to people. For example, in Florida in 2006, a Presa Canario attacked his mistress, the woman did not survive.
- The name ” Perro de Presa Canario ” means “a dog with a powerful grip from the Canary Islands.” This translation is explained by the following: “Perro” in the translation “dog”, “presa” in the translation “crush”, “Canario” are the Canary Islands.
Origin of the Perro de Presa Canario
As its name suggests, this Molosser-type dog comes from the Canary Islands, mainly from the islands of Tenerife and Gran Canaria (Spain). In fact, a law of the government of the Canary Islands designates the Canary Mastiff as one of the symbols of the island of Gran Canaria.
These dogs are descended from ancient “majoreros” dogs, which have existed in the archipelago since pre-Hispanic times, before the 14th century. At that time, the large island dogs were used by the natives as guardians, protectors and also as cattle dogs. Later, with the arrival of Europeans on the islands and in particular with the subsequent conquest of them by the Crown of Castile, the majoreros began to be used as auxiliary dogs for butchers. They are also starting to experiment with crossbreeding with other dogs on the continent.
However, the modern breed finally defined itself in the 18th century, when there was a strong English migration to the islands. The English took bulldog and bull terrier dogs to the archipelago which used dog fighting, which was so popular at the time. Logically, local dogs were also used for this horrible pastime, as well as for crosses between majoreros and bull terrier dogs.
Thus, the Perro de Presa Canario today, mainly blood of the local majoreros of the islands, but also the blood of English Molosser-type dogs. At the moment, Dogo canario, is a very popular dog almost everywhere in the world. As with other breeds, the Canary Mastiff is considered a potentially dangerous dog in Spain and other countries.
The Presa Canario appeared as a result of crossing different breeds, each of which imparted certain qualities to him:
- From the Perro Majorero – brindle color.
- From the Spanish Mastiff – physique.
- From the English mastiff – anger, a high level of aggression.
Today the Presa Canario is used as a guard dog. In its homeland, the Canary Islands is still a herding dog, successfully coping with cattle, including buffaloes.