Last Updated on September 1, 2023 by Pets Feed
The Poodle is commonly acknowledged to be the 2nd most intelligent of all members of the canine breeds. There is a general belief that he is a fop, whose time is largely occupied in personal embellishment, and that he requires a great deal of individual attention in the matter of his toilet.
Modern poodles are stylish, beautiful and athletic dogs. They can, like their forefathers, participate in hunting, win sports competitions, and also be charming, affectionate, funny decorative dogs. Among all the breeds in the world, in terms of intelligence, the poodle is ranked second.
The main characteristic of the breed is its variability. Modern poodles have two types of coat, several variations in colors, and are also divided into four subspecies depending on their size and weight:
- Grand Royal (Standard Poodle). Height 45-60 cm, weight-20-30 kg. It is considered a standard of breed.
- Medium. Height 35-45 cm, weight-8-14 kg. Has all the data and characteristics of the original poodle.
- Miniature. Height 28-35 cm, weight-6-8 kg. It is a smaller version of the small poodle, however, the muzzle is slightly shortened. Enjoys great popularity with buyers.
- Toy poodle. Height 24-28 cm, toy – up to 2.5 kg. The smallest among his brothers, but retains all the external proportions. It is distinguished by its sophistication and increased fragility, it therefore requires a cautious attitude.
- Head: the head is elegant in the shape of a corner, compact, light size. Skull with clear lines, slightly convex. The muzzle is extended, wide with a rounded point.
- Teeth: the jaw is powerful and strong. The teeth are white as snow, strong in a complete set. Bite “scissors”.
- Ears: the ears are thin, lying up at high level, hanging.
- Eyes: oval eyes, inclined, non -protruding. They are wide and at the level of the foot. The color of the iris is chocolate or black.
- Body: Athletic Body, strong corpulence, proportional. The neck is of medium length, without a fauna. The back is straight and quite strong. The kidney is spacious and strong. The rump is high, located on the same line as the tourniquet. The chest is deep and wide. Oval vault ribs. The abdomen is clearly rolled up.
- Members: long legs, straight, parallel, elegant, moderately muscular. The legs are oval, small but powerful. The fingers are slightly folded, have swimming membranes. Thickened, dense pads. The tone of the claws is in harmony with the color of the coat.
- Coat: the coat is dense and lush, with an elastic texture, and can be of two types – completed or corded. The color is white snow, gray, apricot, peach, red and black.
Character and behavior
The poodle is a very intelligent dog, he is a real thinker, capable of making decisions and making initiatives. The representatives of the breed are ideal companions who always feel the owner’s mood and try to attach himself to him.
The poodle breed has open and very reactive nature. In the circle of their family, these are incredibly cute creatures with a joyful arrangement that likes to have fun and be naughty. Of course, if their character in the education process has not been deleted by the owner, which often happens, because many people do not understand the psychology of the animal at all. The poodle is a very sociable animal that seems completely harmless. In fact, it’s always very captivating.
However, you should not be fascinated by such a characteristic of the character of this pet – it is extremely important not to spoil it, because otherwise there is a risk that the dog does not behave in the best way. This breed has a high level of energy, which requires walking, active games and training. In this way, you will help the dog to carry out his energy and his potential, and he will not do any damage to the house whenever he is alone.
With other animals
There are weaknesses in the body of the representatives of this breed, the owner must know them. The poodle is subject to the following diseases:
- Urolithiasis – the essence of the disease is simple: the bladder is filled with stones of different sizes, which block the urinary tract, causing unbearable pain.
- Epilepsy is a disease in which the functions of the brain are impaired. It usually manifests itself in seizures, convulsive seizures, and profuse salivation.
- Legg-Calvet-Perthes syndrome is aseptic necrosis of the femoral head, most commonly seen in miniature poodles.
- Dysplasia of joints – joints are deformed, lameness and severe pain occurs.
- Dilated cardiomyopathy is an idiopathic disorder characterized by poor myocardial contractility with (or without) arrhythmias.
- Von Willebrand disease is a hereditary disease characterized by bleeding disorders and spontaneous bleeding.
- Skin diseases.
- Sebaceous adenitis is a pathology characterized by disruption of work and destruction of the sebaceous glands.
- Progressive retinal atrophy is a combination of pathological processes with degenerative degeneration of the retina.
- Dislocation of the patella.
- Diseases of the auricles.
- Cleft hard palate is a congenital defect, it is a gap, a hole in the middle of the palate.
- Gingivitis is a partial or complete inflammation of the gums. It is manifested by swelling and redness of the gums, can lead to abscesses and loss of teeth if not treated promptly.
The Poodle must be brought to the veterinary clinic at least once a year for preventive examinations. The owner must ensure that vaccinations are carried out on time. It is also important to treat pets from external parasites.
So that the poodle grows in good health and beautiful, it will need regular hygiene procedures, to which it has learned from a young age:
- Once every 13 to 15 days, we clean the ears, eliminating dirt and wax. The ears are the weak point of the poodle, it is subject to ear diseases, therefore, if you notice an excessive accumulation of secretions or inflammation, you must immediately contact your veterinarian. It is recommended to use a special powder during the procedure.
- We accustom the teeth brushing once a week. It is recommended to buy a soft toothbrush and a paste for this procedure.
- We cut the claws about once every 20 to 30 days. This job is not easy, it is recommended to use the services of a specialist.
- We wipe our eyes and nose if necessary, examining signs of inflammation.
- Often, the owners use various hairs cuts, but combing is a compulsory procedure which must be carried out 2 to 3 times a week.
- The Poodle is an excellent swimmer, he loves to swim very much.
- The Poodle is in second place on the list of the smartest breeds. (The List Of Smartest Dogs According To Stanley Coren)
- The Poodle is able to very quickly adapt to any climatic conditions.
- Representatives of the breed are often filmed in movies; they are also the main characters in the books. AI Kuprin also wrote a wonderful story “White Poodle”, later a feature film was shot on its basis, the main character in it is a poodle named Artaud. Movies with Poodle: Best in Show, Travels with Charley: In Search of America, The Secret Life of Girls …
- The Poodle is rightfully called the symbol of all decorative dogs.
- A Poodle is a kind of live decoration, both on stage and in an ordinary room.
- Silver puppies are born with a black coat. Only two months later, the color changes from black to silver.
- Representatives of the breed served in the army of Napoleon Bonaparte. The Poodle was approved as an integral part of the military officers’ equipment. The dogs were supposed to look for wounded soldiers on the battlefield.
History of the breed
The poodle is distinguished by its refined, aristocratic demeanor; it is a proud dog that knows its own worth. Representatives of the breed were and are pets of famous writers, artists and even royals.
This is a very ancient type of dog; its origin has not yet been precisely established and the country that is the birthplace of the poodle is not even known. There are two versions of this:
- According to the first version, the birthplace of the poodle is France. The French used poodles as gun dogs for hunting.
- According to another version, poodle dogs originated from Germany.
The first images of animals similar to poodles were found in tombs in Rome, as well as on bas-reliefs and ancient coins. In the twelfth century, images of poodles adorn cathedrals and castles in France. The sixteenth century brings the breed to great popularity in European countries, and then, almost all over the world. In the nineteenth and twentieth century, the first breed standards were established.
The exact translation “poodle” means “splash in the water.” This name is not given in vain, the poodle is very fond of water, reaching the reservoir, the dog will splash there for an hour or two … In France, these dogs are considered national pride. There are many varieties of the breed. For example, the standard or large poodle was used primarily for hunting waterfowl. The purpose of the miniature poodle is a companion.
Also, representatives of this breed, thanks to their excellent instinct and developed intellect, were and are in the search and rescue services. Another poodle has established itself as a customs dog. At any post, such a dog works with full dedication.