Neutering or spaying a dog changes its behavior. Animals become calmer, more obedient. In the body, there is a change in hormonal levels. Because of this, the neutered dog begins to gain weight. Veterinarians recommend specialized food for neutered dogs. It contains the necessary balance of proteins, fats and carbohydrates, as well as beneficial vitamins and minerals.
Important! Veterinarians recommend transferring the neutered dog to a special diet after castration
Health issues of a neutered dog
The castration procedure is done if there is no need for reproduction. This smooths out behavioral instincts, reduces the risk of developing cancer, and prevents unwanted pregnancies. After removal of the ovaries or testes, the animal stops producing sex hormones. They are responsible for behavior and reproduction. Gradually, their concentration in the blood disappears completely.
Due to changes in the hormonal background, the physical activity of the neutered dog decreases, the craving for food increases, and fat accumulates faster. After the operation, the animal loses interest in reproduction. It starts to eat more, getting pleasure from it. In order not to change the amount of food, the correct food for neutered dogs is selected.
Sometimes the owners face problems when the neutered dog, in addition to sterilization, has kidney or liver disease. In this case, consult a veterinarian. Only he will be able to find the right food for the animal, which will fully correspond to his condition.
Important! If the dog eats a lot, then the dose should not be reduced. This causes hunger, which is stressful for the body.
Basic requirements for food composition (proteins, fats and carbohydrates)
Food for neutered dog has an increased amount of protein and a decrease in fat and carbohydrates. The composition is low in calories, but still saturates the body. The following components are often found in such feeds:
- Proteins of animal origin – 23%;
- Flax seeds;
- Sea salt;
- Vitamins and minerals;
- Animal fat;
- Brewer’s yeast;
The analytical composition is different. When choosing food for a neutered dog, it is better to focus on it:
- Proteins – 27 g;
- Fats – 10 g;
- Fiber – 8 g.
This is the amount per 100 g of the product. The remaining 55 g contains many vitamins and minerals. Also part is the dry residue.
Important! It is advisable to choose a composition for a pet without corn, but if it is present, then it should be no more than 10%.
All manufacturers in the pet food market are involved in the development of specialized food. You can buy it for your dog at any pet store, as well as order it online or find it in hypermarkets.
Types of food
Finding food for a neutered dog is easy. A wide variety has been developed now. They are dry, wet, premium. Many dog owners prefer natural food. But this type of food has its own characteristics.
Many manufacturers produce special food for neutered dog. However, it may not suit every pet.
The most popular overweight pet food manufacturers are:
- Wildborn Blackwood. Grain-free feed with wild boar and rabbit is produced. It is also suitable for animals with frequent allergic reactions. It contains 21 g of protein, 9 g of fat and 5 g of fiber.
- Flatazor Pure Life. Suitable for dogs prone to overweight, with digestive problems and allergies. Contains 28% protein, 11% lipids and 8 g fiber.
- Flatozar Prestige. Ideal ratio of protein, fat and carbohydrates. Low-calorie food, promotes muscle recovery after prolonged physical activity.
- Royal Canin. A special line for sterilized pets, very popular. Croquettes are perfectly shaped for easy chewing. They contain 30% protein, 11% fat and 7 g fiber. The food is low in calories.
- Belcando. The German manufacturer has provided all the parameters for such a power supply. An excellent balance of components saturates the dog’s body and prevents obesity.
- Bosch. German food, its manufacturer has a certificate for the product used. It guarantees quality. Croquettes are prepared based on meat powder. The amount of protein is 28 g, fat is 10 g, and fiber is 8 g.
- Purina Pro Plan. Dry food for overweight dogs. It is made from chicken with the addition of corn ingredients. At the exit, croquettes contain 20 g of protein, 10 g of fat and 5 g of fiber.
Important! When feeding an animal with dry food, you must carefully monitor the presence of water in the bowl.
Canned food for dogs is also very popular. Many owners prefer to feed their pets a combination of wet and dry food. The first is better absorbed. Because of it, there are no problems with digestion and stool. Wet canned food should be 70% meat. Pure protein – at least 10%. The best manufacturers are:
- Nature’s protection. Has various flavors. Suitable for overweight dogs, is a premium product.
- Nuevo. It has an average price category. Produced in cans of 800 g. Consists of 72% meat. Designed for overweight dogs.
- Stuzzy Monoprotein. Refers to the group of holistic. Special food to keep the animal in shape. Contains 11% protein. Has different tastes.
- Shesir. Natural food without preservatives. Consists of 70% chicken or other meats. Available in 400 g cans.
- Royal Canin. Developed a line of high-protein and low-calorie wet food for neutered dogs. It is recommended to combine it with dry.
- Farmina. Produces a separate line of diet food, contains 11% proteins.
The premium feed is designed for high quality breeds. They are given to dogs that are prepared for exhibitions. Caring and wealthy owners buy these types of food for their pets, worried about their health. They combine the ideal balance of nutrients for the animal. Croquettes are made from natural meat powder. The most popular manufacturers of such feeds are:
- Grandorf. Suitable for purebred and purebred animals. Provides all essential vitamins, prevents obesity. Improves the condition of the coat, skin and nails.
- Chicopee. Semi-moist food, does not cause stool problems. Suitable for animals of different sizes and breeds. Contains a high amount of protein.
- Monge. Most suitable for medium-sized dogs with 30% protein content in croquettes. Promotes fast and long-lasting saturation.
- Primordial. Designed for dietetic nutrition of all breeds. The package contains a scale for calculating the optimal amount of dry dog food.
- Farmina. Produces a line for neutered dogs. Food with a high percentage of natural meat and vegetables. Suitable for puppies and adult animals.
- Optimanova. Designed for dogs during pregnancy, after sterilization and undergoing severe operations and injuries. The high protein content helps to quickly recover and not gain excess weight.
- Bosch. Has a special line of premium class for obese dogs. This food is available in different flavors and is also recommended for animals with allergies and sensitive digestion.
Important! Premium food is of higher quality, it is made from natural meat.
Food from the common table is no worse than ready-made food. However, not all veterinarians agree with this. Some foods do not contain optimal amounts of protein, fat and carbohydrates. Therefore, before deciding to feed the dog with regular food, you need to contact your veterinarian. He will calculate the size of the animal, its daily activity, after which he will be able to compose a diet for the neutered dog.
It is not recommended to give your dogs cereals with a high starch content. They contribute to weight gain. Also, pets are prescribed natural meat or offal, enrich the diet with vegetables. Do not allow the animal to gnaw bones. This damages the teeth, and bits of bone tissue are difficult to digest. You can buy a special gelatinous bone for your pet to sharpen his teeth.
Important! Immediately before operation, the neutered dog is restricted in food for 10 hours and in fluid intake for 6 hours.
Choice of diet
Any dog belongs to a certain breed. They are divided into sizes and categories. When choosing a food, you need to take into account the characteristics of the pet. The food should saturate it, not cause hunger and obesity.
For large breeds
Each manufacturer produces a separate category of feed for large breeds. Its main difference is the size of the croquettes. Large animals are uncomfortable to chew small pieces. A suitable value has been selected for them. Protein in food should be at least 25%.
You can pick up any composition: with a high content of vitamins, probiotics, vegetables. If the dog is mobile, then it must be borne in mind that he spends a lot of energy daily. Therefore, food should be balanced.
For medium breeds
Pet food companies recommend using neutered medium breed dog food. They have the necessary balance of all components. You also need to pay attention to the age of the dog. When they reach the age of 7, they change their diet.
For small breeds
The finest breeds are small. They are brought up for beauty or the impossibility of keeping large dogs. They are spoiled by their master’s love. After sterilization, you need to continue to monitor their diet.
Note! Don’t forget about physical activity. Neutered dogs will almost certainly be overweight if you do not devote time to walking and vigorous activities of your pets.
After neutering or castration, the hormonal background of the dog changes. This provokes excess weight gain. To prevent obesity, veterinarians prescribe a diet for the animals. It is usually low in calories and high in protein. Sometimes formulations are recommended for the neutered dog with peculiarities. If you have any difficulties in choosing a feed and type of food, you should contact your veterinarian for advice.