Last Updated on March 4, 2022 by Pets Feed
The dog’s behavior depends entirely on the owner’s ability to raise the dog. Rottweiler training does not allow the slightest oversight, otherwise you can get complete disrespect and aggression from the pet. How to properly train a Rottweiler puppy can be found in this article.
Are Rottweilers trainable?
Cynologists say that training a Rottweiler is not easy. He does not grasp science on the fly, but what remains in his memory will always be fulfilled. Skillful training of the Rottweiler will reward the owner with the devotion and love of a strong, intelligent four-legged friend.
The Rottweiler does not feel hostility towards pets if they have been brought up together since childhood. Aggression on the part of the dog can come from violence against the owner from the outside, in other cases the animal does not even bark.
Basic rules of a Rottweiler training
To avoid misunderstandings during the training of a Rottweiler, the animal must know that the fulfillment of the owner’s requirements is mandatory. Otherwise, there is a danger of the dog developing disobedience.
Training to follow orders must be clearly structured so that the dog does not get confused, otherwise the Rottweiler will not obey. If the pet is mistaken, this indicates the trainer’s mistakes. The commands given by the trainer must be clear, short, with a certain intonation.
When working with an animal to follow commands, one should control not only the physical condition of the dog, but also the mental one. If the Rottweiler does not feel well, training is postponed until he recovers.
If the training requirements are too high, the Rottweiler may refuse to execute commands. You should also not allow deception during training. If after the order “Walk!” the owner does not think to take the dog out into the street; trusting contact will be broken between them. In addition, there are several other important factors that affect the success of training:
- Command execution. The pet must strictly follow the orders of the owner. In case of inaccurate landing after the command “Sit!” there will be difficulties in performing an even exhibition stand.
- Game form. To make the training a joy for both the animal and the owner, it is advisable to carry it out in nature, in a game format 3-4 times for 15 minutes.
- Pleasant emotions. To have them, you need to maintain a balance in the conduct of training. When and how long to train depends on the weather, the well-being of the trainer and the dog.
Important! At the end of the lesson, it is recommended to follow the command well known to the Rottweiler, after which it is imperative to praise and reward the animal with a treat. The success achieved will give your pet a happy feeling the next time you practice.
What is the best age to start?
Puppy training begins at the age of one month. Animals are primarily taught:
- Respond to a nickname;
- Use a special toilet;
- Walk on a leash.
The puppy learns basic skills from the mother. When he is brought to another house, a person begins to answer for the fate of the baby. The Rottweiler performs the first commands from the age of two months. You cannot miss the moments when the pet stops following orders.
From the very beginning, you need to prevent any antics of the puppy, from which bad habits can form:
- Grab hands;
- Show aggression towards family members;
- Offend other animals.
Raising a Rottweiler puppy
A properly organized upbringing saves the Rottweiler from the wayward antics. As soon as a puppy appears in the house, the dog’s energy must be directed in the right direction. The following manifestations should be dealt with:
- Stealing from the table;
Until the age of six months, the Rottweiler gets an idea of what he should do. The puppy acquires knowledge when communicating with the owner in various life situations. If a person allowed something to the dog, and then changed his mind, it will be difficult to fix the situation.
It is better to bring up a Rottweiler at home for everyone in turn, otherwise the dog will not recognize anyone except the main mentor. The future protector of the family appreciates being cared for, but one should not overdo it with rewards: a spoiled dog will become capricious and wayward.
Puppy training from 4-5 months
At this age, the Rottweiler tries to seem independent:
- Pretends not to hear commands;
- Draws attention to other dogs;
- Shows disobedience.
This behavior indicates the advisability of starting a full-fledged training, requiring perseverance and rigor on the part of the owner. But in order to get a good result, it is important not to overdo it. Activities should be fun.
A 4–5-month-old puppy develops the following skills:
- Move calmly next to the owner (with or without a leash), landing during a stop.
- Accelerate the pace of movement, adjusting to the owner, as well as change the direction of walking.
- Return to the owner on demand.
- Maintain a certain position for a long time.
- Expect the owner on the street when going to the store or other establishments.
- Do not react to scattered sweets.
- Execute prohibiting orders.
- Stop barking at the request of the owner.
Also, the dog should already be able to perform the commands “Sit!”, “Lie down!”, “Stand!”
Puppy training from 6 months
The Rottweiler shows signs of puberty, and he begins to rebel, checking the reaction of the owner. But the puppy is still like a child, and human cruelty can undermine the trust gained. At this age, flaws in the upbringing of the dog appear that urgently need to be corrected.
It was believed that a service Rottweiler should be trained in 2 stages: at an early age and upon reaching 8–9 months. The last period included the consolidation of the acquired skills. This view is now considered obsolete. Modern schools of training use methods based on zoopsychology, which allow teaching a pet according to a single system.
Basic commands training
The training of orders to achieve positive results should be carried out in a reasonable sequence: from simple tasks to complex ones:
- “Sit!” – to master the command, with the help of a delicacy in your hand, invite the Rottweiler from right to left to go around the owner and command: “Sit!” The order should be given to the dog in different situations: on a walk, in the house.
- “Place!” – execution of this command will allow the owner to get rid of the inconvenience due to the uncontrolled movement of the dog. After the dog fulfills the given order, the owner, putting his palm to its face, slowly moves away. If the pet tries to run, it must be stopped with the firm word “No!”
- “To me!” – the order is pronounced with calmness in his voice. At first, a nickname is called. Saying “Come to me!”, They often knock the food bowl on the floor. During a walk, you can accompany the sound command with claps.
- “You can’t!” – it is better to work out the order when walking the pet, forbidding him to collect scraps, lying bones. It happens that when executing a command, difficulties arise, in which case it is better to use a short leash.
- “Lie!”, “Stand!” – they are fulfilled like the order “Sit!” When training, it is better to combine tasks: 3 commands during the day are performed in different sequences.
- “Walk!” – the favorite command for the puppy, which he hears, getting rid of the leash, which indicates the possibility of learning about the world around him.
- “Don’t touch!” – the order is similar to “No!” Contains a ban on picking up anything from the ground, as well as taking food from the hands of other people.
- Show your teeth! – an important command, without which the dog will not be able to take part in exhibitions. Working off begins at three months. The puppy must be able to show the correct bite. The Rottweiler, a distrustful dog, finds it difficult to learn how to obey this order.
- “Aport!” – To practice this command, a small puppy needs toys. They serve for fun and also help develop the dog’s teeth. During the walk, the owner throws the toy, and the puppy hears “Aport!” After the dog has taken the object in its teeth, the commands “Come to me!” and “Give!”
You need to do this from a very early age. Teaching an animal to be calm when walking on a leash is a skill that requires the owner of knowledge in this area and patience. Training a puppy to a leash goes through the following stages:
- The dog examines and sniffs the leash.
- The owner puts on a collar for the puppy to get used to the new accessory.
- The collar is worn at every collection for a walk.
Important! It is strictly forbidden to remove the collar if the puppy is persistently trying to do it himself. You should calm the dog, switch its attention by offering a toy, and only then remove the accessory.
Encouragement and punishment
As a reward, the delicacy was recognized as the most effective in training a Rottweiler. It is able to quickly consolidate the necessary skills in memory, contributes to the establishment of a trusting relationship between the owner and his pet. A tasty treat will help if the Rottweiler is half-starved, so you need to train the dog 4 hours after eating. Strokes may be used instead of treats as a reward.
Living in a family, the dog should not create discomfort. This is possible if the dog not only knows the rules of behavior, but also knows how to apply them at home and on a walk. Training and education of a Rottweiler requires endurance, knowledge, kindness on the part of a person. The reward for the time and attention spent will be the boundless dedication of an intelligent four-legged friend.