Belonging to the greyhound family, the sloughi or the Arabian Greyhound is a really fascinating dog. Faithful and courageous when it comes to protecting his own, the sloughi has accompanied humans for centuries, it is even thought that this dog was already accompanying the pharaohs of ancient Egypt. Slender and extremely agile, the sloughi is skilled in areas such as hunting, running or performing surveillance tasks.
The sloughi is a medium to large sized dog with short fur that presents a noble and dignified appearance. He is very elegant and fast, but also strong and muscular. Its fur can be of different colors. Although it is such a versatile and sensitive breed of dog, the truth is that the Sloughi is, today, one of the least known greyhounds in the world. In this ‘ Pets Feed ‘ breed sheet, we explain everything you need to know about the Sloughi or the Arabian dog.
The sloughi dog breed – Arabian Greyhound was venerated by the Bedouin tribe, who decorated their sloughi dogs with talismans and amulets. When visiting a Bedouin, his sloughi receives the same respect as any other distinguished guest and members of the tribe will be happy to give their blanket to Sloughi in cold weather.
When the sloughi dies, the Bedouins suffer an obvious penalty and they are celebrated by a dignified mourning. Some evidence of the existence of Arab greyhounds dates back to the time of ancient Egypt, where they managed to find the mummified body of a sloughi in a grave.
Native country: Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya.
The International Cynological Federation indicates in 1998 that Morocco, which holds the standard, has the largest number of Sloughi dogs. (Wikipedia).
Physical characteristics of the sloughi
The sloughi, like the greyhound that he is, has an extremely thin body, with remarkable finesse, although that does not mean that he does not have strong muscles, even if he is not very bulky. In fact, his muscles are long and flattened, called dry muscles.
Thus, an Arabian greyhound weighs between 20 and 26 kilograms, with a height at the withers between 66 and 72 centimeters in males and between 61 and 68 in females. Its life expectancy is 12 to 16 years. The body of this dog is thin, with long and thin members, a thin tail, a short back and a narrow chest.
The head is long and wedge-shaped, with a boy with a light stop and finished in low truffle. The eyes are large and dark in color, neither protruding nor sunken, being in perfect balance. Its ears are drooping, of medium size, triangular in shape and in a high medallion.
In general, the head of the sloughi – Arabian Greyhound is less thin and long than that of other greyhounds and their ears are more drooping. Another characteristic of the sloughi to emphasize is its coat. The hairs of the Arabian greyhound are always short, fine and fairly dense. The coat is soft to the touch and the desirable colors of the Arabian greyhound are brown, in all its varieties and shades. Although not appreciated, they are also accepted although the black and white capes.
Sloughi – Arabian Greyhound character
The sloughi is a dog which is distinguished by its indisputable loyalty, because it will remain by its side whatever happens, defending it if necessary, with courage. For this reason, it is an excellent watchdog.
This contrasts sharply with his scary character, which he is able to overcome if he wants to protect his own. It is therefore a dog rather suspicious of strangers, showing himself withdrawn and shy in front of strangers. Depending on the character of the Sloughi – Arabian Greyhound, we can say that it is an extremely intelligent dog, in addition to being very active, it is therefore necessary to stimulate it with games and activities that allow it to perform enough daily exercise.
It is not advisable to have a sloughi locked up in a small space, such as an apartment, if we cannot ensure that he will do a significant amount of strenuous exercise each day. Sloughi dogs are very independent dogs, with a natural hunting instinct and enough energy to do so. Dogs of this breed who have not been socialized from an early age with cats and other smaller animals will consider them prey.
This Arabian Greyhound is not recommended for people who have little time but who, in the right home, is a dog of altruistic and very loyal family. He is not a noisy dog.
The Sloughi dog has a health that is second to none. One gets the impression that all the talents and abilities are inherent in such an individual by nature itself, and you shouldn’t try hard to get a positive result from such a dog. However, attention will not be superfluous, because sometimes hereditary retinal atrophy, as well as “night blindness”, occur. Greyhounds are generally highly sensitive to anesthesia, and the Sloughi dog is no exception.
The Sloughi dog can live for about 12-16 years, and the better the content and nutrition, the longer the probability of pleasing the owner with his presence next to him.
We recommend that you leave it without a strap in safe areas and train it to come on the call.
The Sloughi dog needs frequent walks, active games, and daily workload. In a large city, be sure to use a leash, since hunting instincts are present in the blood of the slug, it can jump off the spot, choosing a target.
In terms of grooming, this is not a whimsical dog. Sloughi dogs take care of their own wool, licking it every day. Once a month it is necessary to brush the coat with a special brush for better blood circulation and coat growth.
You should bathe your dog only if absolutely necessary, but it is better to remove dirt from the coat with a dry shampoo. The fact is that the Sloughi dog has very dry skin, which can become even drier from frequent bathing.
There are no congenital diseases in the Sloughi dog; with age, problems with vision and joints appear.
There are no special prohibitions in the diet, the Sloughi dog loves meat, dairy products, they can also be fed with special feed, supplementing the diet with protein and vitamins.
Sloughi puppies need to be fed a highly nutritious, good quality diet to develop and grow as they should. As a guide, a Sloughi puppy should be fed 3 or 4 times a day.
Once an Arabian Greyhound puppy is 15 months old, it can be fed with food for adult dogs.
Sloughi dogs need a lot of exercise (two hours or more per day for adult dogs). Once they have detected a trail, they run after without stopping.
The Sloughi dog is very smart, and therefore stubborn and wayward. Tough teaching methods will not suit him. This breed requires respectful treatment of itself; strict but fair coach. Lessons should be repeated often, and for success in training, reward the dog with something tasty. The Sloughi dog is difficult to train to go to the toilet on the outside, however, when teaching this skill, do not abuse the special cage, as this breed suffers from a mild degree of claustrophobia.
Arabian Greyhound – Sloughi dog fun facts
- The color of the variety is sandy, which allows it to be unnoticed in the process of tracking down its potential prey. And only at the last moment does she notice that there is no turning back.
- The Sloughi dog became famous for his unyielding character. He hardly manages to educate and train. Therefore, in no case should you use authoritarianism and pressure.
- This breed has a very strong habit force. She gets used to the owners and her home, as well as to the daily routine.
- The character is at the same time harsh and jealous, as well as flexible and kind. It all depends on the environment in which the beast is.
- The Arabian Greyhound dog is very jealous. He constantly needs confirmation that he is needed.
- The Arabian greyhound needs to be protected from the cold because it has sensitive skin with just a little downy hair to suffer from the cold.
- The Sloughi dog rarely refuses lamb. He ideally needs the kind of food that was used to feed the dogs in his homeland of Morocco.
- The breed is one of the rarest in the world. It is worthy of protection and development.
- During the pursuit of prey, the Sloughi dog usually develops the maximum speed for dogs.
- The first time the species was mentioned about 7 thousand years ago.
Sloughi Breed Highlights
- Arabian Greyhound – Sloughi makes a pet and a companion to whom they look like.
- It is very intelligent and easy to handle.
- Sloughi is a good watchdog.
- It has an easy-care coat.
- Sloughi is a very clean dogs around the house.
- This dog thrives in a family environment and enjoys all the “comfort” needed.
- This dog breed has a low coat.
- Sloughi is very sensitive to severe correction.
- It has a lot of energy and needs a lot of daily exercise.
- This breed is not the best choice for new owners.
- It does not like being left to himself for long periods.
- It has a strong sense of prey.
- Training a sloughi – Arabian Greyhound takes time and patience.
- It is best for households with large, well-fenced rear gardens.