Last Updated on August 4, 2023 by Pets Feed
The sphynx cat or sphinx cat is a truly unique cat in the world. He was the first to be accepted as a hairless breed or without visible fur. Many professionals suggest that it comes from the Devon Rex breed, with which they share very similar characteristics.
The main feature of the Sphynx is its lack of fur. However, these cats do not completely lack hairs, but are covered with a layer of fine and soft hairs reminiscent of peach skin. This cat has no whiskers or eyelashes. Its head resembles that of the Devon Rex. The eyes are sunken and lemon-shaped. The body has a thin bone, although it is muscular and its chest is strong. Read on and find out all about the sphynx cat or the sphinx cat in ‘ Pets Feed ‘:
Sphynx cat photos
It is a medium, elongated and muscular cat. You can see the huge ears that stand out against the naked body, forming folds in various places. Although the sphynx cat is considered hairless, the reality is that the fur is very thin and short, so much so that you cannot see it.
These hairless cats cannot be called too large, the weight of an adult animal is 3-5 kg.
- The sphynx has a medium-sized, wedge-shaped head with a rounded outline. The length of the head is not much greater than the width. The cheekbones are prominent, the jaw is strong, short pubescence is possible.
- The bridge of the nose is wide and the nose itself is short, covered with short hair;
- The ears are wide at the base and also set well apart. They are always large, at the base on the outside they can be pubescent. Brushes, brushes – not allowed;
- They have practically no mustaches, but some representatives can retain them, the norm allows.
- The physique of the Canadian Sphynx is charming! They captivate with grace and grace. In their structure there is not a single sharp straight line, they are malleable and smooth. Like the figurines, cats of the Canadian Sphynx breed are medium-sized, muscular and strong. The belly should not be thin, but the chest should be wide, in general, the figure resembles a ripe pear.
- Due to the wide chest, the front legs are always widely spaced. The limbs themselves are slender with long fingers (such a structure is called the “monkey paw”). The hind limbs are longer than the forelimbs, it is this fact that affects their peculiar gait. A little down may remain on the tips of the legs.
- The tail is long, whip-like, not pubescent, but it is quite possible that your sphynx can grow a lion’s tail – that is, a brush will appear at the end of the tail. This is not a sign of disqualification. The tail of the Canadian Sphynx is almost always folded into a bagel and pressed against the body.
Skin and color
Character and behavior
Although the Canadian Sphynx is distinguished from other cats by the absence of hair on the body. Otherwise, he is a real gentle cat who loves affection and a lot of attention towards himself. Such a cat in the house requires constant communication with other animals and people. For a child, the Sphynx is an excellent companion, although not all children like these animals due to their specific appearance.
Sphynxes have a stable psyche, are very active, friendly not only with the owner, but also with his guests. At the same time, Canadians enjoy secluded relaxation after energetic games. They choose warm closed-eye places for restful sleep and recovery.
When the owner comes home, the Sphynx follows him everywhere. It shows its joy by wagging its tail like a dog and purring like other felines. Outwardly, Canadians are not like other cats, but their behavior betrays their belonging to these animals. If your pet is suddenly out of sight, check all high places in the house. Maybe he’s sitting there with a distant gaze watching your research. For the Sphynx, it is a kind of game in which it involves all the inhabitants of the house.
It is very interesting to watch the independent matches of the Canadian. Its thin bare legs with long fingers seem to grasp objects in its hands. From the outside it looks a bit unusual, but for a Sphynx it’s just fun. Another feature of the nature of this breed is excessive curiosity, thanks to which they penetrate into the most unpredictable places, transforming everything in their path.
Sphynxes do not like to be alone, they yearn for their family. If you leave a Canadian constantly alone for a long time, then he will show other sides of his character…
The Canadian Sphynx breed has health problems, including skin problems, although here most often it all depends on proper care. Inherited diseases include:
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is an inherited heart disease that can lead to sudden cardiac arrest and death of the animal.
- Myopathy. An inherited disease that causes progressive muscle dysfunction. The muscles of the animal’s neck are first affected, then general muscle weakness is observed.
- Airway obstruction is the most common hereditary disease of the Sphynx, causing the death of the animal.
Is the Sphynx cat hypoallergenic?
Despite the complete or partial absence of wool, the Sphynx cat breed can also be allergic. All this is due to the allergenic protein, which is not secreted through the coat, but through saliva or sebaceous glands. And, by the way, all cats have them.
There is no scientific evidence that the Sphynx cat is suitable for people with allergies, so do not trust breeders who try to stick a “magic” kitten in you.
Don’t choose a Sphynx cat solely for its weird appearance. The Sphynx is so much more, it is personality, individuality, curious, smart and funny. He loves people, loves to sleep with you under the covers, loves to be the center of your attention, so be prepared for his cute antics.
Wool in ordinary cats plays the role of a protective layer, in addition, wool absorbs sweat. The Canadian Sphynx and other hairless cat breeds do not have hair, which means there is not that same protective layer. As a result, all impurities remain on the skin, especially when the cat sweats. It is necessary to constantly clean the skin with a damp cloth and ensure that there is no irritation on the skin.
Also, remember all the standard cat procedures – brushing his teeth at least 3 times a week, cleaning his ears as needed (you have to be careful here, because the Sphynx has very sensitive large ears) and clipping his claws . You must bathe your pet at least once in 10 days.
- The Sphynx cat can look a person in the eye for a long time without blinking.
- Sphynxes also have color, like fluffy cats. These animals may have short hair or spots on the body.
- If the Canadian Sphynx cat is extended to its full length, folds remain on the body, one way or another.
- The Sphynx cat’s heart beats faster than other breeds. And the younger the cat, the more frequent the heartbeat.
- The skin of the animal resembles the skin of a child by touch.
- The Sphynx cat can be feline centenarians. One male lived to be 19 years old.
- For these animals, it is worth equipping a real shelf with cosmetics: baby shampoo, lotion and sun cream.
History of the breed
Hairless cats have been known for generations; It is said that the Aztecs already had hairless cats. The Sphynx is the first hairless cat that has been bred specifically for this trait.
The breeding program began in 1966 in Ontario, Canada, when a domestic cat had a hairless male kitten. However, most of the current Sphynx are from three hairless kittens found in Toronto in 1978.