Last Updated on September 26, 2021 by Pets Feed
The owners of these dogs rightly call their pets “a dog for the soul”. The Thai Ridgeback dog breed is one of the oldest species, today it is rare and very expensive.
The appearance of the Thai Ridgeback dog is exotic. All because of the wool, which forms a ridge (ridge) along the ridge. The coat is exceptionally velvety to the touch.
The character of the breed is aggressive. Such dogs from puppy age demonstrate independence and independence. They are very observant, like to imitate.
With proper education, the Thai Ridgeback dog is an excellent protector, companion. Such a dog is ready for any activity, if only to dig with the owner.
The history of the breed
The homeland of the Thai Ridgeback dog is Thailand. But it should be noted that it has not been established exactly where the history of this breed originated from. Some suggest that the turbojet was first discovered in Vietnam.
Anyway, but the Thai Ridgeback dogs is the national pride of Thailand today. This is fair enough. After all, as a result of research scientists have managed to prove that Thai Ridgeback dogs living in Thailand have an older heritage than those living in Vietnam and Cambodia.
The Thai dorsal crested dog is an indigenous breed, in the formation of which a person did not participate. Thai Ridgeback dogs are classified as outcast dogs. Pariah dogs are semi-wild animals with an uncertain pedigree. In terms of genetics, they are complex polyhybrids.
For many centuries, the exterior of the Thai Crested Dog has not changed. This is not surprising, since no selection work on the training of the breed has been carried out and no crossbreeding with other types of dogs has taken place. If you look at old pictures of Thai Ridgeback dogs and modern photos of the same animals, there is hardly any difference in appearance.
The purity of the species, its originality and its pristine nature have been preserved due to the fact that Thailand has long been isolated from other countries. The direct ancestors of TRD are the wild dingo dogs.
Thai Ridgebacks used for hunting birds and wildlife. They also helped the owners graze, protect the livestock from bad guys and predators. These courageous dogs have distinguished themselves as ideal protectors and guardians.
Thai Ridgebacks were especially honored by low-income people, by the poor. This popularity is explained by the fact that the Thai Ridgeback dog is able to feed independently in the form of small rodents. Hunting provided food for the whole family, which was very valuable in poor villages. The ridge also destroyed parasites in the form of rats and snakes.
The Thai Ridgeback dog is a very old breed. Surprisingly, it was not officially recognized until the end of the 20th century.
The Thai Dorsal Crested Dog is a medium sized breed. The weight of adults is 25-32 kg., The height is about 50-60 cm. Sexual dimorphism is strongly pronounced. Females are significantly inferior to males in weight.
A medium sized head sits on a muscular neck that is slightly arched and not too long. The skull is rounded, flat between the ears. The ears are medium in size, erect, triangular in shape. Ear trimming is not performed.
The eyes are small, almond shaped.
The muzzle is wedge-shaped, the bridge of the nose is long and straight. The jaws are powerful. The tongue may have black or blue dots, which is a feature of the turbojet engine. The canines are large, scissor-shaped.
The croup is slightly inclined. The back line is straight, the kidney is wide. The chest is deep. The stomach is raised.
The limbs are straight, parallel, with well-developed muscles and strong bones. The legs are oval. The step is stretched, the movements are free, rhythmic.
The tail is slightly curved, thick, tapering towards the end.
The skin is fine, without dewlap.
The coat of the Thai Crested Dog is divided into three types:
- Standard – length 1-2 cm.
- Velvet – length from 2 mm. Up to 1cm.
- Super short pile – no more than 2mm long.
The main distinguishing feature of the Thai Ridgeback breed is a woolen comb, called a crest. This characteristic is a strip of wool that grows in the opposite direction. The ridge is separate from the main layer, however, it is located on both sides of the spine. The ridge of the Thai Ridgeback can be of different lengths and shapes.
According to the standard, the following turbojet colors are allowed:
- Red – occurs most often, shades from light red to dark red are acceptable. In representatives of species of red color, the crest is much wider than in the rest. There may be a black mask on the face.
- Black – the color should be saturated, without mixing other shades.
- Blue (silver) – shades ranging from heavenly asphalt to wet asphalt are acceptable.
- Isabella (fawn) – very rare. Differs in the beauty of the nuances of tea rose, vanilla, pink grapes.
White markings on the chest are not considered a fault. Any other color than those listed above is excluded.
Similar breed: Rhodesian Ridgeback
Character and behavior
Among the members of the household, the Thai crested dog itself chooses the owner. Only he obeys him unconditionally, and only if he is properly brought up and trained. Such a dog is discreet, tactful. Usually, once in a family, almost from childhood, the crest tries to establish its own hierarchy in the house.
It is difficult for households to achieve full TRD obedience. The dog appreciates those who live in the house, those who feed and walk him, but often neglects their opinion. For him there is only one authority – the owner.
Alone surrounded by domesticated dances, they can frolic, rejoice and relax completely. In foreign territory, next to strangers, the Thai Ridgeback dog is a serious, alert dog, ready to instantly react to a threatening dog. This dog treats strangers coldly, with suspicion, responds to ill will with aggression.
He loves children, treats them with patience, but this patience has its limits. Therefore, if there are children in the family, do not leave them alone with the dog, and also teach the child how to behave with the animal. With an established understanding, the Thai Ridgeback dog will become a great friend and playmate for the youngest members of the family.
The Thai is not particularly keen on dominating. He gets along well with other pets in the same area. The exception is rodents, birds, which are prey in the eyes of the ridge.
Outside the house, such a dog, seeing a cat, will try to catch up with it. He will not back down from someone else’s dog, show fear, stand up for his rule. Males are more intolerant and aggressive than females.
The average lifespan of a turbojet is about 12-13 years. The Thai Ridgeback dog breed was born out of natural selection. For many centuries, natural selection took place, in which only the strongest animals survived.
This explains why Thai has strong immunity and good health. With proper maintenance, nutrition and care, he rarely gets sick.
The predisposition of representatives of the breed is observed to a few diseases:
Skin diseases – arise from the fact that short hair does not poorly protect the skin from pathogenic microorganisms. Thai Ridgeback dogs often have a dermoid sinus.
Allergic reactions – mainly due to improperly selected care products. Food allergies are less common.
Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract – volvulus, bloating, indigestion.
Obesity – results from an improperly chosen diet and sedentary lifestyle, if the owner does not provide the Thai with a sufficient amount of exercise.
Many health problems can be avoided by taking your dog for preventive check-ups to a veterinary clinic every year. Do not forget about deworming, vaccination. Timely treatment of the animal with preparations against parasites of the skin is important.
A Thai crested dog cannot be kept on the street, in an aviary, and even more so on a chain. Despite his strength, his hunting instinct and his excellent qualities as a guard dog, the Thai is a very clean animal, one could say pampered.
He needs to be close to people, he likes comfort. In addition, living in an apartment or house, a ridge will not create any inconvenience for the owners. He takes care of himself like a cat, his coat is odorless.
Like any apartment dog, the Thai is assigned a place with a sofa, toys, containers for water and food. But don’t be too surprised if you find your pet under the covers of your bed in the morning.
His favorite places to sleep are an armchair, sofa, but the master’s bed is a priority. He reluctantly walks over to his couch. Although it all depends on the education and level of obedience of the animal.
Thai Ridgebacks need daily walks (morning and evening). Young people should walk at least 2 to 2.5 hours a day. It is enough to walk 2 times a day on sexually mature turbojets, each walk lasting 30 to 40 minutes.
Taking care of a Thai is not difficult. It is only important to perform the following procedures on time:
- The wool is combed twice a week using a natural brush or a special glove. During the moult, we remove the dead hairs every two days. While it is not difficult to run a rubber glove over the coat every day, clean the animal.
- We bathe our dog once every six months. Do not overuse detergents, as their excess leads to the washing of the protective layer of the skin. The Thai man independently monitors the cleanliness of the coat. But the owner should wash their paws after each walk, while inspecting for cracks and chips.
- We cut the claws with a nail cutter as they grow back. Before this procedure, unpleasant for the dog, it is recommended to keep the paws in lukewarm water.
- We clean the ears once a week, carefully watching for signs of infection.
- We wipe the eyes as needed.
- To clean the teeth, we buy special bones from the veterinary pharmacy or use a paste and a brush. The first option is much easier.
You can feed the Thai Ridgeback dog both natural products and processed foods. The main thing is not to mix the two types.
With the natural method, meat is the basis of the diet. The rest: offal, cereals, fruits, vegetables, sea fish, low-fat dairy products.
The water should always be in the bowl. Make sure to keep food and water containers clean.
Training and education
Serious dogs, like the Thai Ridgeback dog, require early socialization and mandatory OKD.
The education of a puppy begins from the first day of its appearance in the house. The animal must learn the initial commands until the age of three months. Socialization, walking outside the house only after the first vaccination and the end of the quarantine period.
It is recommended to start more serious training of turbojets from 3-4 months. It is best to use the services of a dog handler. Thai is distinguished by a stubborn and freedom-loving temperament. If you can’t find an approach for him, he will get out of control and even dangerous.
During training, you should not yell or physically punish the ridge. He reacts very painfully to humiliation and rudeness. As a result of such treatment, the Thai Ridgeback dog will become cowardly, nervous and withdrawn, or vice versa, aggressive, resentful, confrontational.
The basis of training: respect, trust in the owner, Excellent training results can be achieved using oral and food rewards. Consistency, persistence, and patience are also important.
The Thai Ridgeback dog has an excellent memory, he develops intellectual capacities from an early age. Thanks to their intelligence, their energy, their passion, the representatives of the breed have distinguished themselves as participants and winners of various types of sports competitions (frisbee, agility, freestyle, etc.)
- The Thai Ridgeback dog is the national breed of Thailand.
- According to many scientists, the Thai Ridgeback dog has retained in its exterior the characteristics of the ancestor of all modern dogs. The specified breed, according to research, is one of the oldest.
- TRDs are able to “talk”, their “talk” resembles a mumble, with the help of which the dog expresses his joy or indignation. The Thai Crested Dog rarely barks, only for good reason.
- This dog may have a blue or spotted tongue.
- Puppies of this breed are covered with many folds, like the Shar Pei or the Mastiff. As we age, the folds disappear, the skin becomes smooth. Wrinkles only persist on the head.
- The character and habits of the TRD are often compared to the character and habits of a cat. The Thai Ridgeback dog, just like a cat, does not like water, even bypasses puddles, not to mention large bodies of water. The dog keeps the coat clean by all means. It is calm only on its own territory and is unfavorable to foreigners.
Advantages and disadvantages of the breed
Before buying a Thai Crested Dog puppy, you need to carefully weigh all the pros and cons. The breed demands a lot of attention. If you are too busy, Thai will not be suitable as a pet.
Like any other breed, the turbojet has its own strengths and weaknesses.
- Exotic appearance.
- Suitable for apartment living.
- Good health.
- Excellent memory, quick wit.
- The innate instinct of a guard, of a security guard.
- Stubborn and capricious character.
- Requires daily walking and physical activity.
- Behaves restlessly outside the house.