Dogs generally have a very good appetite, if you are concerned that your dog does not want to eat, in this article we will give you some recommendations, but keep in mind that for any type of abnormal situation in your pet it is important to go to a vet first.
If you are concerned that your dog does not want to eat, in this article we will talk about the possible reasons why this happens and how they could be solved, mainly the lack of appetite that occurs when dogs get bored of always eating the same thing or he is ill. Dogs have a good appetite by nature, so the absence of it is disturbing.
If your dog does not want to eat, it is important that you first go to a veterinarian so that he can perform a checkup on the dog and rule out any serious health problem. Lack of appetite or the fact that your dog does not eat is known as anorexia.
Possible reasons why your dog does not want to eat
Your dog may stop eating for different reasons, below we will mention some:
- Canines may stop eating because they no longer like the food being provided, a possible solution to this problem may be to try the BARF diet.
- Advanced age is another important factor, some dogs lose the potential of their senses such as smell or taste.
- Heat can also reduce your pet’s appetite.
- The fact that your dog does not want to eat can also be linked to serious diseases such as cancer, pain, dental problems, kidney failure, an infection or liver problems.
- Sometimes vaccines have certain contraindications, one of these is lack of appetite, if your dog has been recently vaccinated this may be a side effect.
- Your dog may have ingested an object or food that is obstructing its stomach or intestines, so it is important that the vet perform a complete checkup.
- Another reason your dog has lost his appetite could be neuronal damage that is affecting the area responsible for causing the need to eat.
- If your dog is under any treatment that involves the consumption of medications, you can consult with your vet what kind of effects it may have on your dog, some of them make the appetite disappear.
- It is likely that the dog does not want to eat if it is in an unknown environment due to a trip or a move, some dogs feel uncomfortable or stressed in such situations and changes in environment.
- Canine depression, just as it happens in human beings, causes a total lack of control of our life, being food one of the affected aspects and for this reason the dog can stop eating.
Top situations to worry about if your dog doesn’t want to eat
- The dog underwent some surgical intervention.
- He has lost more than 10% of your normal weight.
- In addition to lack of appetite, he has nausea and diarrhea.
- He has fever.
- If your dog is being treated with antibiotics due to a serious illness.
- Kidney tumors and problems.
Recommendations to improve your dog’s appetite
- Change its diet, offer more appetizing food.
- Clean your dog’s nose, so he can perceive the aroma of food in a much simpler way and be motivated to eat it.
- With the recommendation of your vet, he can provide you with some type of supplement to increase your appetite.
- Lean food directly into its snout with your hand.
- Alternate type of food, canned and dry.
- In some cases, being next to your pet will make them feel more comfortable and therefore eat their food more easily.
- Consider the idea of providing a diet based on homemade food, ask for guidance from the vet, remember that dogs cannot eat any kind of thing.
- Plain yogurt, that is, without additives or artificial colors, can help the dog feel like eating.
- Cut back on the amount of rewards offered to your dog.
- Take your dog for a walk before lunch.
- Establish a fixed schedule to feed it daily.
- Change the feeding containers, maybe the ones you have now are not suitable for your size or do not give you the comfort you need.