Last Updated on January 24, 2023 by Pets Feed
Chihuahuas are funny creatures that simply cannot be looked at without tenderness. One of the characteristic features of this breed is trembling. This condition is not a pathology. Chihuahuas tremble for a variety of reasons. For example, this is due to an accelerated metabolism. Dogs have very little subcutaneous fat, so shivering is a natural reaction of the body to keep warm. Also, pet trembling can be triggered by stress, hormonal changes, overexcitation, illness. It follows that the causes of the phenomenon are not always harmless, and in some cases may indicate health problems. Let’s try to figure out what to do if a chihuahua is trembling.
Causes of trembling, not related to diseases
First, let’s figure out why chihuahuas tremble. If the dog is not sick, then the reasons may be as follows:
- The pet is frozen. This is a common condition for many dwarf breeds. As mentioned above, the phenomenon is caused by an imbalance of muscle and adipose tissue. Therefore, having noticed that a Chihuahua is shaking for no reason, especially during walks, it makes sense to think about warming your pet. For these dogs, there is a good selection of warm clothes, if necessary, you can even pick up shoes. In severe cold, it is better to refuse walks altogether: representatives of this breed can quite comfortably use a cat tray for the toilet.
- Experiencing stress. Several factors can be singled out here. For example, moving, parting with the owner, loud noise, frequent visits to the vet. Dogs of this breed are very emotional. If a Chihuahua trembles and tucks its tail, then this clearly indicates stress. It is also worth considering that any physical punishment for such dogs is simply unacceptable.
- Overexcitation. This is the reverse reaction to stress. Here the pet experiences an emotional upsurge, anticipating a joyful event for itself. For example, such a phenomenon can be observed when the dog is waiting for the owner to return from work, begging for a treat, or going for a walk.
- Hormonal changes. Chihuahua trembles for no reason during estrus or pregnancy. This is caused by a hormonal surge, so there is no cause for concern. When the condition stabilizes, the trembling will disappear. Another thing is if the pet does not eat and constantly whines. In this case, it is better to show the dog to the veterinarian.
What diseases can cause chihuahuas to tremble?
Trembling can be a manifestation of the symptoms of various diseases, including those that are deadly for such small pets. In this case, shaking usually manifests itself with other symptoms. It looks like this:
- Hypoglycemia. A dangerous disease caused by a lack of sugar in the blood. In addition to trembling, the pet may experience weakness and apathy. Having noticed these signs, the dog should be immediately taken to the doctor: hypoglycemia in a Chihuahua progresses very quickly.
- Kidney problems. This includes kidney failure and urolithiasis. Therefore, if a chihuahua is constantly trembling, you need to pay attention to additional symptoms: rapid weight loss, an unpleasant smell from the mouth, inflammation of the mucous membranes.
- Otitis. In addition to trembling, it can be manifested by the fact that the dog whines, presses his ears, lowers his muzzle. In addition, the dog can shake his head and constantly comb his ears.
- Allergy. It manifests itself when changing food or when irritants enter the dog’s body. In this case, the dog not only shakes, but also constantly itches, discharge from the nose appears.
- Poisoning. In such situations, body trembling is accompanied by signs of intoxication of the body: diarrhea, vomiting, profuse salivation. Weakness is added, body temperature rises.
To understand why a chihuahua is shaking, the dog needs to be taken to the veterinarian. Each case is individual, and often requires additional clinical studies. It is forbidden to self-medicate pets: this can dramatically worsen the condition, and sometimes lead to irreparable consequences.
What to do if a chihuahua is shaking
Much depends on the causes of this phenomenon. If the causes of shaking are psychological, you can use the following recommendations:
- Cold. Be sure to take the dog in your arms during a walk, cover it with clothes: Chihuahuas are called pocket chihuahuas for a reason, so they can walk in the bosom of the owner. For the next walks, the dog will have to be dressed.
- Stress. Try to avoid provoking situations. Dogs of this breed do not tolerate loneliness, are sensitive to harsh sounds and changes in scenery. These particular factors must be considered before getting a Chihuahua.
- Fear. It doesn’t matter what the dog is afraid of. The main thing is that the owner immediately reassures his pet. For this, tactile-visual contact is ideal. The dog needs to be picked up, stroked and talked. The trembling may not go away immediately, but hearing the owner’s voice and feeling safe, the dog is guaranteed to calm down.
- Overexcitation. The dog may experience an emotional high in anticipation of a treat or a walk. There is nothing serious in such trembling, but it is better to stabilize the psycho-emotional state so that overexcitation does not turn into stress. To do this, try to distract the dog, for example, offer to play ball while the owner prepares accessories for a walk.
What to do so that the chihuahua does not tremble? If the reasons are physiological and caused by the disease, it is necessary to provide the pet with first aid. For example, if the primary symptoms indicate hypoglycemia, the dog should be given sweetened water to drink. With signs of poisoning – replenish the water-salt balance. With postpartum eclampsia, it is necessary to give vitamins with a high content of calcium. In any case, the dog must be shown to a veterinarian who will make an accurate diagnosis and prescribe the correct treatment.
Follow Pets Feed on Google News!