Last Updated on March 4, 2022 by Pets Feed
Perhaps you have a small squeaking lump. He often begins to demand food and attention from you. It is necessary to treat its nutrition very responsibly – the health and life of the baby directly depends on the composition of the feed, on the components used.
How to feed a small kitten in 1 month without a cat
A baby’s age of 1 month is a good time for the first complementary foods. The baby is still sucking milk from the cat, but little by little it begins to get used to solid food. Even when feeding an orphan, you can get him back on his feet using the tips below.
At this age, it is important for a kitten to drink milk, diluted 2/5 with boiled water. Use cream or goat’s milk for this, or purchase a special milk-based mixture – you can find it at any pet store. Do not forget to give plain water too.
There are several foods that you need to gradually add to your diet:
- Let your baby try different dairy products – low-fat sour cream, kefir, sugar-free yogurt, fermented baked milk and yogurt.
- Gradually start feeding rare milk porridge, on very finely ground cereals, it is convenient to cook it on semolina. Milk intended for porridge is also diluted with water – by about 1/3.
- You can add cottage cheese, steeply boiled yolk to the food of a month-old kitten. You cannot give food with salt or sugar; cottage cheese can only be given low-fat. You can feed the yolk with cottage cheese or separately. But you cannot give it a lot – it is permissible to give yolk to kittens no more than 1-2 times a week!
- You can cook your baby’s soup without salt and spices once a week with finely ground meat. The soup should resemble meat broth or thin gruel, sometimes chopped vegetables are added to it.
- Baby food in jars of fish or meat is an excellent complementary food for these crumbs.
Little by little, start giving them regular meat to taste, it must first be grated very finely or scraped. Be sure to boil it or pour it over with boiling water, only you cannot fry it! Add lean beef, rabbit or chicken to the diet, pork should not be given under any circumstances. It contains a lot of fat for adult cats, and even more so for the kitten’s ventricle. Only boiled sea fish can be given.
It is important to understand not only what to give to the kitten, but also how to do it:
- Orphans must be fed with milk from a bottle, which can be purchased at the pet store. You can use a pipette or syringe without a needle.
- It is necessary to “acquaint” kittens with unfamiliar food, for example, when giving them liquid porridge for the first time, you just need to dip your finger in it and let the baby lick it. If he cannot figure out what needs to be done, then anoint his muzzle with this porridge, he will begin to lick it and taste it.
- After the kitten starts eating porridge by itself, adjust how much he will eat per day, you cannot give much.
- It is necessary to spread the porridge over a shallow bowl with a thin layer, otherwise the baby may choke.
- Any unfamiliar products should be introduced into the diet gradually – at first, no more than once every 2 days. This approach will reduce the risk of allergies and if it is found, quickly find the cause of the trouble.
- Ensure that clean and fresh water is available at all times. It is not enough just to pour out the stagnant water – the bowl must be washed well.
- If the baby does not have a mother, then you will have to massage his tummy. This procedure is performed 15 minutes after eating with the fingertips. The massage will enable the kitten to empty the bladder and intestines on time.
If the kitten does not want to eat unusual food, try to take a very small piece and put it in his mouth. Make sure food is free of spices and room temperature. Maybe he will not like one of the products, in this case, carefully “introduce” him to the other. If the baby refuses any food – urgently show it to the doctor in the clinic.
To feed a kitten without a cat for up to 4 months, it is necessary in 3-4 hours, you will have to give it to him a day, eat 5-6 times. Kittens, due to their small stomach, are not able to digest large amounts of food, for this reason they eat little, but often.
What should not be given to a kitten at 1 month old
It is important not to feed the baby from your table, “human” food contains many spices that are very harmful even for adult animals. For cats, chocolate is a real poison, do not give them sweets in any way, even if you ask.
From meat food, you cannot feed turkey, duck, goose, sheep and pig meat, you cannot give any river fish, pollock and capelin. The meat from this bird and animals contains a lot of fat, and the fish can cause an infectious disease or lead to infection with worms.
It is unacceptable to add fatty, spicy, fried, smoked, salty and sweet foods to the diet. This also applies to sausages (sausage) and canned food intended for humans. This will cause chronic diseases, metabolic disorders and gastrointestinal upset.
You cannot feed bones and offal, cats are not able to gnaw bones – their animals gnaw. Small and sharp bones can injure the esophagus or the animal can choke, and the baby can die from this.
It is unacceptable to introduce legumes into the feed, they cannot be digested properly, which leads to fermentation and swelling of the gastrointestinal tract. This is the case with potatoes – they can be upsetting in cats.
When feeding a kitten in 1 month without a cat, do not even remember about the various “Kita Kets”, “Frisks” and “Whiskas”, there is absolutely no meat in them, they only contain flour made from cheap by-products of low quality – bones, internal organs, beaks. The food intended for cats does not contain the necessary vitamins, but many flavors are added that act on the body like a drug.
As you can see, there are a huge number of little things when drawing up the right diet for a baby without a mother.