The Poodle is commonly acknowledged to be the most wisely intelligent of all members of the canine breeds. There is a general belief that he is a fop, whose time is largely occupied in personal embellishment, and that he requires a great deal of individual attention in the matter of his toilet.
One of the most widespread dogs in the world is the Poodle breed. Most people believe that this breed belongs to exclusively female dogs. This is an erroneous opinion, the distant ancestors of poodles participated in the hunt.
Modern poodles are stylish, beautiful and athletic dogs. They can, like their forefathers, participate in hunting, win sports competitions, and also be charming, affectionate, funny decorative dogs. Among all the breeds in the world, in terms of intelligence, the poodle is ranked second.
Tail: Set on rather high, well carried, never curled or carried over back.
Coat: Very profuse, and of good hard texture; if corded, hanging in tight, even cords; if non-corded, very thick and strong, of even length, the curls close and thick, without knots or cords.
The poodle is distinguished by its refined, aristocratic demeanor; it is a proud dog that knows its own worth. Representatives of the breed were and are pets of famous writers, artists and even royals.
This is a very ancient type of dog; its origin has not yet been precisely established and the country that is the birthplace of the poodle is not even known. There are two versions of this:
1. According to the first version, the birthplace of the poodle is France. The French used poodles as gun dogs for hunting.
2. According to another version, poodle dogs originated from Germany.
The first images of animals similar to poodles were found in tombs in Rome, as well as on bas-reliefs and ancient coins. In the twelfth century, images of poodles adorn cathedrals and castles in France. The sixteenth century brings the breed to great popularity in European countries, and then, almost all over the world. In the nineteenth and twentieth century, the first breed standards were established.
The exact translation “poodle” means “splash in the water.” This name is not given in vain, the poodle is very fond of water, reaching the reservoir, the dog will splash there for an hour or two … In France, these dogs are considered national pride. There are many varieties of the breed. For example, the standard or large poodle was used primarily for hunting waterfowl. The purpose of the miniature poodle is a companion.
Also, representatives of this breed, thanks to their excellent instinct and developed intellect, were and are in the search and rescue services. Another poodle has established itself as a customs dog. At any post, such a dog works with full dedication.
Physical characteristics of the Poodle
All existing Poodle varieties have a single standard. They have developed musculature, strong constitution, dry constitution.
A wedge-shaped head rests on a not too long neck. The ears are long, drooping, with a wide base and rounded tip. The dark eyes are almond-shaped and the expression is intelligent. The cheekbones are flat, the jaws are strong.
The back of the Poodle dogs is strong and short. Nice scruff. The loin is slightly convex, the stomach is tucked up. The legs are strong and well-muscled. The paws are elastic. The tail is straight, docked in half or up to 2/3 of the total length.
The coat is long, thick and soft. The outer hair is thin, wavy. The length of the coat is the same throughout the body. The color must be uniform.
Varieties of Poodle dogs
There are many varieties of this breed. Representatives of different species differ from each other in size, hair type and color.
- The black.
Unusual colors are recognized at the moment: tan and harlequin. Brindle and marble colors are not allowed.
Height at the withers:
Toy-Poodle – height at the withers up to 28 cm. No higher.
Miniature Poodle – height 28-35 cm.
Small poodle – height 35-45 cm.
Large (standard) poodle – height 45-60 cm.
Character and temperament of the Poodle
The good-natured nature of the Poodle allows him to get along in any family. This dog is strongly attached to family members, is devoted to its owner and loves to play outdoor games with children.
Loneliness for an affectionate and sociable Poodle, be it a toy Poodle or a standard one, is destructive. The dog, in return for its loyalty, requires a lot of attention from its owners. Every day you need to arrange walks with active pastime, it is advisable to walk near water bodies at least occasionally, because the poodle loves to swim.
It is very valuable that all varieties of the breed get along well with children. For a child, it is real happiness when a dog with a cute haircut is frolicking around. The Poodle coexists peacefully with pets, showing a friendly disposition. But, given the innate instinct of the hunter, it is not worth leaving the Poodle alone with poultry or small rodents. The dog can arrange a hunt, especially if he was raised in an improper way.
Prolonged separation from the owner can adversely affect the health of the pet. He will begin to yearn, can get severe stress. The Poodle loves big, fun companies and always strives to be in the spotlight. He treats strangers on the street or guests at home with caution, but without the slightest display of aggression.
The Poodle is a very intelligent dog, he is a real thinker, capable of making decisions and taking initiative. Representatives of the breed are ideal companions who always feel the mood of the owner and try to get attached to him.
The Poodle is an excellent dog in all plans, it is an intelligent and beautiful animal that can become your true friend. But if you decide to have such a pet, be prepared to spend a lot of money on caring for it and a lot of time. It is not for nothing that the Poodle is called the most expensive dog in terms of grooming, especially if the pet participates in exhibitions and competitions.
The very first thing, letting the Poodle into the house, show him a place with a couch and teach him to the command “place”. If the Poodle puppy is allowed on the master’s bed or sofa, it will be very difficult to wean him from this privilege. To keep your pet from getting bored, buy toys for it, long-playing bones.
Otherwise, left alone, the dog will chew on shoes, furniture, everything that gets on the tooth. It is important to walk the dog every day, the poodle loves to frolic, so he needs to be given the opportunity to waste the accumulated energy.
In order for the Poodle to grow up healthy and beautiful, he will need regular hygiene procedures, to which he is taught from puppyhood:
- Once every 13-15 days we clean the auricles, removing dirt and wax. Ears are the Poodle’s weak point, it is prone to ear diseases, therefore, if you notice excessive accumulation of secretions or inflammation, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. It is recommended to use a special powder during the procedure.
- We teach the Poodle to brush its teeth once a week. It is recommended to buy a soft toothbrush and paste for this procedure.
- We cut the claws about once every 20-30 days. This business is not easy, it is recommended to use the services of a specialist.
- We wipe the eyes and nose as necessary, examining the evidence of inflammation.
All of these procedures should be carried out in a calm atmosphere. Do not yell at your Poodle if he is not assiduous and encourage if the dog obediently accepts cleaning and inspection.
Poodle’s coat care requires special attention and a lot of time. In addition to the usual combing, haircuts and relatively frequent bathing are also needed.
Combing. When a Poodle has a puppy hair replacement for an adult one, it must be combed out daily using a slicker. In the future, we comb the dog 4 times a week. During the molting period, comb out every day. In addition to the slicker, you will need a comb with wide teeth, a massage brush, and the owner of the p Poodle oodle should also have sprays, conditioners for caring for the dog’s hair.
Bathing. We bathe show dogs once every 14 days, in other cases we bathe every 20 days. With this care, the pet’s coat will be in perfect condition. During frequent bathing, it is not recommended to use shampoos; you can wash the Poodle’s hair with detergent only 3-4 times a year. There will be no problems with water procedures, the Poodle loves water, he is happy to bathe in the bathroom, shower, and in a natural reservoir. After bathing, wipe the dog with a towel, then dry it with a hair dryer and at the same time comb the coat.
Haircuts. The Poodle needs regular haircuts and trimming, especially if the pet has a show career. There are many options for stylish, trendy poodle hairstyles. Modern, unusual, fantastic types of haircuts are especially popular. In addition, there are classic, more strict and familiar ones. Most often you can see representatives of the breed with the following haircuts: “Scandinavian lion”, “English lion”, “Continental”.
The Poodle should eat balanced, high-quality food. The diet is made taking into account the fact that the liver of such a dog is very sensitive. Many products are contraindicated for her: raw fish, smoked meats, pastries, tubular bones, sweets. Fatty meats and dairy products with a high percentage of fat content are prohibited. Fruits, rye bread, cheese are allowed as a treat. Vitamin and mineral supplements and constant access to clean, cool water are required.
On average, a Poodle can live 13-17 years. With proper nutrition and care, a pet can become a long-liver and live up to 18-19 years. There are weak points in the body of the representatives of this breed, the owner should know about them. The poodle is prone to the following diseases:
- Urolithiasis – the essence of the disease is simple: the bladder is filled with stones of different sizes, which block the urinary tract, causing unbearable pain.
- Epilepsy is a disease in which the functions of the brain are impaired. It usually manifests itself in seizures, convulsive seizures, and profuse salivation.
- Legg-Calvet-Perthes syndrome is aseptic necrosis of the femoral head, most commonly seen in miniature poodles.
- Dysplasia of joints – joints are deformed, lameness and severe pain occurs.
- Dilated cardiomyopathy is an idiopathic disorder characterized by poor myocardial contractility with (or without) arrhythmias.
- Von Willebrand disease is a hereditary disease characterized by bleeding disorders and spontaneous bleeding.
- Skin diseases.
- Sebaceous adenitis is a pathology characterized by disruption of work and destruction of the sebaceous glands.
- Progressive retinal atrophy is a combination of pathological processes with degenerative degeneration of the retina.
- Dislocation of the patella.
- Diseases of the auricles.
- Cleft hard palate is a congenital defect, it is a gap, a hole in the middle of the palate.
- Gingivitis is a partial or complete inflammation of the gums. It is manifested by swelling and redness of the gums, can lead to abscesses and loss of teeth if not treated promptly.
The Poodle must be brought to the veterinary clinic at least once a year for preventive examinations. The owner must ensure that vaccinations are carried out on time. It is also important to treat pets from external parasites.
Training and education
Training one of the smartest breeds in the world is not difficult at all. The Poodle easily and quickly remembers the commands, trying to fulfill them as best as possible, thereby making the owner happy. The main thing is to conduct education and training consistently, calmly. You cannot interrupt the training course, unless health problems require it.
Even an inexperienced Poodle owner will feel like a skillful trainer in the classroom with his pet. First, you can teach your puppy simple commands at home, then go through lesson by lesson in the main course. After that, having decided what you want from your dog, proceed with a more challenging training session. A Poodle can be a skillful hunter, companion, circus and film performer, show champion, test dog.
Poodle Fun Facts
- The Poodle is an excellent swimmer, he loves to swim very much.
- The Poodle is in second place on the list of the smartest breeds. (The List Of Smartest Dogs According To Stanley Coren)
- The Poodle is able to very quickly adapt to any climatic conditions.
- Representatives of the breed are often filmed in movies; they are also the main characters in the books. AI Kuprin also wrote a wonderful story “White Poodle”, later a feature film was shot on its basis, the main character in it is a poodle named Artaud. Movies with Poodle: Best in Show, Travels with Charley: In Search of America, The Secret Life of Girls …
- The Poodle is rightfully called the symbol of all decorative dogs.
- A Poodle is a kind of live decoration, both on stage and in an ordinary room.
- Silver puppies are born with a black coat. Only two months later, the color changes from black to silver.
- Representatives of the breed served in the army of Napoleon Bonaparte. The Poodle was approved as an integral part of the military officers’ equipment. The dogs were supposed to look for wounded soldiers on the battlefield.
Poodle Dog Breed Highlights
Buying a Poodle puppy is a very serious and responsible decision. The owner must be prepared for all the complexities and costs of caring for and maintaining a pet. To determine how serious your decision is, you should familiarize yourself with the main advantages and disadvantages of the Poodle breed:
Poodle Dog Advantages:
- Cheerful, friendly character.
- Lack of aggressiveness.
- Unique, beautiful appearance.
- Lack of a specific smell.
- Love for children.
- Sharp mind, unique intelligence.
- Easy to train.
- Moves with a light “dancing” gait.
- Suitable for keeping in an apartment.
- Quickly adapts to any climate.
Poodle Dog Disadvantages:
- Requires daily long walks.
- Complex care to maintain a beautiful appearance.
- Expensive content.
- Requires regular haircut, trimming.